Radio wiring

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ozturbo
Knows where Volvo is from

Radio wiring

Post by ozturbo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:45 pm

I have just fitted a new radio in my turbo and it is working well except that there doesn't appear to be a permanent 12v wire in there, so it loses its memory when I turn it off. I don't know if the factory radio I removed had one connected. The car is a December 1990 model. What colour would this wire be if it exists? Alternatively, where would be the best place to run one from?
Another problem I have is with the rear speaker wires. My car didn't have rear speakers, but I brought back the ones that fit in the bins beside the rear seats that my turbo in Italy had fitted because I know they are hard to come by. I found the wires in the dash that were for rear speakers and assumed that the other ends would be under the bins, ready to plug in to speakers should you want to fit them, but they're not there. I looked under the sill trim, but still no speaker wires. So what did Volvo do with them? Are they bundled up under the dash somewhere, and if so how can I find them? Maybe I will just have to run new ones.

Bakke
Tuning oracle

Post by Bakke » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:57 pm

Easy answer... If your car isn't equiped with the wires, don't bother and put them in yourself....
Whoever said : " A Volvo cannot be tuned ?!? "

Name: Goldlocks // Type: TURBO // Year: 1988 // Colour: 435 Saffron Pearl // Engine: B18FT (1.7) Rica chip, Custom Volvo widebody and lots of ICE

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Jamo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:24 am

I disagree with your original diagnosis ozturbo.

More like you've got the 12v ignition and 12v live mixed up on the radio wiring.

I.E you got the 12v live connected too the radio 12v ignition and vice versa

So when you turn on the ignition the radio comes on but loses it memory when you turn it off as the radio loses all power.

Commonly done on european cars.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JamoDodger/Avatar/startrek-bluescreen.gif[/img]
Ex 480 Turbo owner, Currently own Audi S2 Avant running 500-600 bhp

ozturbo
Knows where Volvo is from

Radio wiring

Post by ozturbo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:50 am

You were right Jamo. I bought myself one of those circuit testers today and sorted out which wire was which. It works fine now. I also ran some wires through for the rear speakers and connected them up.