iPod adapters

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ebdl
Started learning about 480

iPod adapters

Post by ebdl » Wed May 31, 2006 10:35 pm

Has anyone else here fitted an iPod adapter to their stereo (I'm talking about the kind that plug into the back of your head-unit and allow you to control the iPod from the head-unit's controls)?

I've fitted mine, but I'm not entirely happy with where the cable is popping out for me to attach my iPod. If anyone here has fitted one, where did you route the cable? I'd ideally like mine to be somewhere out of sight, since I don't need to touch the iPod once it's connected. If possible I don't want to hack up my interior - in my old 440 I cut a small hole in the back of the glovebox and routed the cable in there.
1993 480 ES 2.0i *SOLD*
1989 VW Scirocco Scala 1.8i
1984 VW Polo LX
1982 VW T25 Devon 2L aircooled

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Wed May 31, 2006 10:48 pm

Centre Console

I'm a poser so i like mine in the centre console :lol:

I routed the cable behind the glovebox, and down to the centre console-but if i wanted, i could easily have made a little opening and slipped the cable in the glovebox. I just liked mine there 'cos i have loads of rubbish in my glovebox.....no, i mean my girlfriend has alot of rubbish in my glovebox :lol:

I think you're on the right track.
Last edited by Dan the 480 Man on Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:52 am

i like your mats Dan ... where'd you get them? :D
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 WRC
1995 (M) Dark Grey Metallic 480 Turbo
1994 (M) Flame Red Metallic 480GT
1992 (J) Black Metallic 480ES 1.7i

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:59 am

Mats are from....sshhh...Halfords

There were £30 for the fronts and £20 for the rears. Good solid and durable.by a company called 'Profile'. They don't specify the mats fitting a 480, just says 440/460 on the packaging, but they're ok. Only think i have noticed is heel wear wear on the drivers side, so i made a little mat out of old dark carpet to compensate :D
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:49 pm

Yeah .. they look like they're pretty solid! I'm on the hunt myself! thanks.
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 WRC
1995 (M) Dark Grey Metallic 480 Turbo
1994 (M) Flame Red Metallic 480GT
1992 (J) Black Metallic 480ES 1.7i

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:44 pm

Ive got and alpine head unit with ipod adapter and i had the plug that goes into the ipod emerging through a small hole into the armrest pocket between the front seats. You could pad the bottom of the pocket with bubble wrap to protect your ipod a bit. i couldnt find any so i used my wooly hat, which worked a treat till the weather got cold!!
Out of sight in the pocket and it cant rattle around too much :)
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

ozturbo
Knows where Volvo is from

iPod adapter

Post by ozturbo » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:13 am

I bought a Trevi brand radio for the turbo I had in Italy last year which had a stereo line in socket on the front. I used a stereo mini jack cable and put the iPod in the little cubby hole in the console. It worked perfectly. I don't know why all radios aren't made that way given the popularity of iPods. I brought the radio back to Australia with me and put it in my Alfa 75 3 litre. The only trouble is the 75 doesn't have a covenient cubby hole. I am still trying unsuccessfully to pull the old radio out of my 480 turbo to put the Clarion I took out of the 75 in. I have seen one new Sony radio and, I think, a Panasonic one with line in sockets on the front, but no Pioneers, Alpines or Kenwoods so far. I might buy one of those instead of using the Clarion which is a bit thin in the sound department (it is almost new and has a remote control). It is nice to be able to use your iPod, especially on long trips.

lvdree
480 Newbie

Post by lvdree » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:42 pm

Hello All!

First of all I wanted to say I'm back again... The virus got me again! I came here a long time ago even before this forum. I also read a lot from this forum, but I saw I replied only once and now I don't know my password, nor email address from that time... So that was definitely some time ago... I'm sorry.

I still drive the same smoke silver 480 as can be found on the color page for a longgg time. In the mean time I had a crash, with some aqua planning but I let it repair and it again drives superb. I also fixed some problems, like my broken central locking (which was due to a broken censor), my info-panel (which had bad solders), and now have a newer interior (still multicolor velours, but with head rests at the back) and newer rims (Torus instead of Atlas)!

Now to the subject!
I've got an Alpine head-unit myself too, with the iPod adapter. I hide my iPod under the glove compartment. There is a little compartment underneath there which perfectly fits an iPod. So no fancy iPod in sight which is ideal when you're going out or park in a city and you can't take it with you.

ozturbo
Knows where Volvo is from

iPod adapter

Post by ozturbo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:33 am

It is Sony and Sanyo that have models with line in sockets on the front. I have not seen any other brands advertised so far with them.
My brother came round the other day and pulled the old broken radio out of the turbo for me. It looked easy when he did it. He knew where the locking pins were because he recently pulled a similar one out of his Range Rover. I hope to try the Clarion in the turbo today. If it sounds thin I will have to think about getting something better. I didn't like the sound of it in my Alfa.