New headunit!

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

New headunit!

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Wed May 17, 2006 1:37 pm

Hey everyone,

I am currently selling my Minidisc headunit and cd changer on ebay and it's looking to make about £90 - £100 :D So I have used teh money to get a new setup for teh turbo...

I have just ordered http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/shop/P ... CD-TUNERS/

As it is black and the buttons are green so should look pretty good. Will be better than the cd unit in the car at teh moment (a temporary £50 shark mp3/cd player from maplin) which is good but has atrocious sound quality compared to my old sony minidisc unit...heard good things about Pioneers with the Mosfet built in amp so will suit me down to the ground. The fact it was £70 yesterday on this website and today it went down to £65 made my decision for me.

I also put the remaining dosh towards a bit of an upgrade from teh standard speakers so I got these... http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/shop/P ... m--5-INCH/

So with the delivery it came to £92. Not too shabby and should be ideal for what I want it for (just playing a few tunes about town and ultimately making my trip to and from uni a bit better in september!).

What do people think? I'm not looking to hook subs and amps up to it all just want a reasonable bit of sound quality.

Rob
1996 Saab 9000 CSE 2litre EcoTurbo

Previously...
Peugeot 406 executive TD - The devil!

1991 Red Turbo - Great condition and surprisingly un-rusty!

1989 Light Blue metallic Turbo - Sold!

1993 Steel grey S - Bought for parts

1990 Red ES - Now resting in car heaven!

1989 Black ES - Great runner

1989 Black ES - Spares Car. I murdered it!

ReVolvoLution
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by ReVolvoLution » Wed May 17, 2006 8:03 pm

Looks pretty sweet GCF!!!

Should blend in there nicely with its funky green buttons! Thats what made me get the jvc exad too (yeh i'm a tart at heart!!) :lol:

I never used to be a big fan of pioneer HUs but it was years and years ago i had my last one. I still need to do something with speakers, the rears make more farts and crackles than sound so i've just faded them out but the fronts aint much better!!!! Keep uz posted on how it goes.....
My Carma Ran Over My Dogma

'92 Turbo, Manual, Graphite Grey.
'97 Subaru Forester 2.0 Turbo, Black, 260bhp and i'm lovin it!
Big Red London Bus with an even bigger packet of Red Rizzla!

Brasco
480 Is my middle name

Post by Brasco » Wed May 17, 2006 11:23 pm

This is what I ended up getting, similar price range, I've been really pleased with it. Goes well with the interior too, I reckon.

Oh yeah, keep an eye out for MB Quart speakers on e-bay. They are under-rated, so you could pick up a bargain.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/myelan3.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400024rip-1.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/fc85e36c.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400044-1.jpg[/img]

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Fri May 19, 2006 7:51 pm

Well it's pretty awesome! First I tried it without changing the speakers and it was notably better than either of my previous headunits. It a good balanced sound and lots of Equaliser choices so you can really customise the sound to what you are listening. very easy to use as well and probably the best sounding and functional tuner I have ever used as well. really cuts out the background crackle!

Then I swapped the speakers and MY GOD it is really good. Not to noticeable at very low volumes (background oloumes) but when I crank it up the sound is amazing and the speakers never fizz or crackle like the standard volvo ones.

It has lots of cool things about it . I like the simple white text and in the dark all the butons really shine green well. I dont like the fact that it doesnt scroll the song title across the screen (just shows the first 10 digits - anymore and you cant read it) but I havent reead the manual yet so that might be one of the display options. Great MP3/wav file skipping system. You can flick between albums very easily.

Very happy with it. A nice simple unit which fits in nicely and sounds great as well as having a really decent tuner!

Recommended!

Previously...

Cooper
Started learning about 480

Post by Cooper » Sat May 20, 2006 9:21 pm

Rob

Your set up looks great and reading your last post sounds great too!

I am looking to upgrade my front speakers (see my post above) - did you get your Pioneers in OK - did you need the Autoleads adapter? How long does it take? What did you do with the tweeter in the door and did you manage to get the speaker grille back on OK?

Cooper

PS - apologies for all my questions..... :cry:

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Sat May 20, 2006 10:06 pm

Yeh the headunit is basic buts sounds great. Speakers are really brill though!!!!

The speakers came with wiring for both so basically I removed teh door panel and changed the speaker in teh door. I then took one of the sets of speaker wiring and cut teh heads off the four wires that went to the original volvo speakers.

I took the two solid coloured wires (one blue and one yellow/white) and connected them to the solid section of the extra speaker wiring supplied and then took the remainign 2 wires (that have black stripes down them) and connected them to the other wire on the speker bit (this also has a stripe down it).

I left it bunched up with the cable tie and popped the extra wiring in the bottom of the door inneard and just used teh other end of the supplied wiring that clips onto the back of teh speakers.

Put the door back on and the cover clips straight on. No problems at all. Now repeat on the other side and bobs your uncle, fanny's your aunt!

Any more advice, give me a shout!

Rob

(re reading it sounds a bit complicated but it is easy when you come to do it!)

Previously...

Cooper
Started learning about 480

Post by Cooper » Sun May 21, 2006 8:48 am

Thanks Rob - will poss drop you a line when I get round to wiring - sounds simple enough (?? :) ).

So you didn't need the Autoleads speaker adapter then?

Cooper

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Sun May 21, 2006 9:32 pm

Nope - just made up the wiring myself. I didnt even solder it - just twisted it togtehr so it was secure and insulated it with tape.

Previously...