I want to upgrade my sound system - What are my options?

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

I want to upgrade my sound system - What are my options?

Post by WillC9303 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:30 pm

Hi everyone,

So one thing that I have noticed after driving my car a fair bit in the last couple weeks is just how gloriously bad my sound system is.
My current 'setup' is a Philips VC602 (Downgrade from the original fit VC802 that fried itself), 2 original tweeters, as well as 3x original speakers (1 barely makes any sound). As a result, it sounds like the radio stations are never quite in the correct frequency (even when they are)

I was going to replace all the speakers, however, they will only be as good as the radio that's powering them - so am wondering if I should replace that as well.
I'm thinking either the Volvo CR-905/6 or whatever CD player radio the Celebs came with. It would be nice to have a radio with CD changer compatibility so I can get one further down the line.

My budget for everything is realistically £100-120 MAX, so does anyone have any suggestions or anything for sale?

Thanks
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: I want to upgrade my sound system - What are my options?

Post by jifflemon » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:04 am

£100 is a tight budget.....

I'd look at replacing the speakers first - I've often found them rotten/torn. In fact, I'd probably just to the front speakers. Get a decent pair of component ones (5.25") and some additional sound deadening for inside the doors.

On the radio front, celeb radio's rarely come up for grabs. I picked up a Philips 6 disc multi changer complete with the all important lead, for next to nothing from eBay. Also look at Philips stuff (which is what the Volvo radios are) on eBay, although sadly, its all starting to attract the "youngtimer" tax....

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:32 pm

Oooh I love old radios. I do have a Philips DC751 that I could let go of. It was serviced before I bought it and has done me very good. If you car hasn't had connectors messed with, it should just be a straight swap. However it is a circa 1988 unit, and your car is a 92, so not completely correct, but a plausible swap if that is something that matters to you
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

richard-smyth
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by richard-smyth » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:34 pm

Hello, have a Philips CD changer for your boot that you can have FOC, but not sure if there is a cable with it.
I think I also have a Philips radio cassette that goes with that you can also have FOC.
Next time I am tiding the garage hopefully i will come across the CD changer and will see if its got a cable with it.
Highly recommend these 13cm 3 way Pioneer speakers, they come as a pair :
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350856468705
The rear ones are easy to replace, so start with them.
Do you or someone you know have a soldering iron ? If so, recommend you solder onto the rear speakers
some extra wire which you can feed into the boot so giving you the future option of some extra speakers.
Are the front speakers all black ? Then they might have already been upgraded at some point ?
Cheers, Richard.

WillC9303

Post by WillC9303 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:56 pm

richard-smyth wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:34 pm
Hello, have a Philips CD changer for your boot that you can have FOC, but not sure if there is a cable with it.
I think I also have a Philips radio cassette that goes with that you can also have FOC.
Next time I am tiding the garage hopefully i will come across the CD changer and will see if its got a cable with it.
The rear ones are easy to replace, so start with them.
Do you or someone you know have a soldering iron ? If so, recommend you solder onto the rear speakers
some extra wire which you can feed into the boot so giving you the future option of some extra speakers.
Are the front speakers all black ? Then they might have already been upgraded at some point ?
Cheers, Richard.
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the offer for the CD changer & radio - if they're no use to you I will happily take them off your hands :)
The speakers are the brown/grey original ones - I think they are the originals. Based on the previous ownership & service history, I don't have any reason to believe they've been upgraded in the past. I have a soldering iron, so will take your advice with the speakers - however space may be an issue in the boot if the CD changer is in there as well. Thanks also for the recommendation on the speakers.
William

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:10 pm

richard-smyth wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:34 pm
The problem with those is that they have the tweeter integrated into the centre of the speaker, which is why you want component ones; staying with pioneer these would be a better option and not much more money.

richard-smyth
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by richard-smyth » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:22 pm

Hello, have now found the CD changer RC-026 but unfortunately no connection cable with it.
Was told it functions all ok but will check it out by connecting it into the boot of my 480 once the rain pauses.
Surprising there is still a hosepipe ban in place !
Also found a Volvo radio cassette player CR-702 if you are interested in that as well ?
Cheers, Richard.

WillC9303

Post by WillC9303 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:57 pm

richard-smyth wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:22 pm
Hello, have now found the CD changer RC-026 but unfortunately no connection cable with it.
Was told it functions all ok but will check it out by connecting it into the boot of my 480 once the rain pauses.
Surprising there is still a hosepipe ban in place !
Also found a Volvo radio cassette player CR-702 if you are interested in that as well ?
Cheers, Richard.
Hi Richard, you have a PM :D
William