What period aftermarket radio/casette to use?

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: What period aftermarket radio/casette to use?

Post by jifflemon » Sat May 30, 2020 7:52 am

just to add to this....

I've got this sat around doing nothing

Image

Hilariously, despite saying code protected and having un-used "code protected" window stickers, it's a pull out stereo and doesn't (from memory) have a code!

dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 860
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: What period aftermarket radio/casette to use?

Post by dcwalker » Sat May 30, 2020 10:08 am

Ah ha...the old dummy burglar alarm trick, eh? :lol:

David
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 1995 440 ES)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

User avatar
dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: What period aftermarket radio/casette to use?

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat May 30, 2020 1:09 pm

mmm I happen to have instructions for calculating the radio code.... It involves opening the unit up so a phone call to Volvo would be a whole lot quicker and easier if you get hold of the right person. If not, I came across this on the internet a long time ago:

Image

Hope this helps.

ps I could also do with an original spec radio/cassette - Lily's radio works fine but the cassette deck doesn't, just makes whirring noises regardless of button pressing. If this one ends up spare or anyone else has one please give me a shout.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Dark Green GT
Evil Eva 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: What period aftermarket radio/casette to use?

Post by arthuy » Sat May 30, 2020 5:35 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:09 pm
mmm I happen to have instructions for calculating the radio code.... It involves opening the unit up so a phone call to Volvo would be a whole lot quicker and easier if you get hold of the right person. If not, I came across this on the internet a long time ago:

Image

Hope this helps.

ps I could also do with an original spec radio/cassette - Lily's radio works fine but the cassette deck doesn't, just makes whirring noises regardless of button pressing. If this one ends up spare or anyone else has one please give me a shout.
Worth opening and checking the belts havent disappears. You might also be able to use a cassette to 3.5mm jack adaptor which lets you plug in your phone or ipod, so long as the head engages.

Never tried it myself but the old trick was to put the head in the freezer and the code appears on screen. not sure which models that worked with.

User avatar
MisterH
480 Rookie
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: What period aftermarket radio/casette to use?

Post by MisterH » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:30 am

Image



The other day, my local(ish) radio shop found me a radio that would go straight into the 480 without the compatibility issues of the Blaupunkt unit. It has just had a full service and is wonderful! The Blaupunkt however is also a very good unit, so that will be waiting in reserve to be fitted to whatever Tat finds its way onto the fleet that needs a radio, such as the Hypothetical Audi 80 quattro :lol:
Current Jobs to do (12/9/20):
Fix Central Locking
Bodywork
Suspension creaking below 40mph

dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 860
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: What period aftermarket radio/casette to use?

Post by dcwalker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:30 am

MisterH wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:30 am
Image



The other day, my local(ish) radio shop found me a radio that would go straight into the 480 without the compatibility issues of the Blaupunkt unit. It has just had a full service and is wonderful! The Blaupunkt however is also a very good unit, so that will be waiting in reserve to be fitted to whatever Tat finds its way onto the fleet that needs a radio, such as the Hypothetical Audi 80 quattro :lol:
Perfect Ben - I had the same unit in my 1988 ES, save that it was the one marked up "Volvo" rather than "Philips" who made it.

Pleased you can still use the Blaupunkt though - do you have a working screen on it yet?

David
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 1995 440 ES)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

User avatar
MisterH
480 Rookie
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: What period aftermarket radio/casette to use?

Post by MisterH » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:37 am

dcwalker wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:30 am
MisterH wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:30 am
Image



The other day, my local(ish) radio shop found me a radio that would go straight into the 480 without the compatibility issues of the Blaupunkt unit. It has just had a full service and is wonderful! The Blaupunkt however is also a very good unit, so that will be waiting in reserve to be fitted to whatever Tat finds its way onto the fleet that needs a radio, such as the Hypothetical Audi 80 quattro :lol:
Perfect Ben - I had the same unit in my 1988 ES, save that it was the one marked up "Volvo" rather than "Philips" who made it.

Pleased you can still use the Blaupunkt though - do you have a working screen on it yet?

David
The screen always did work apparently, the problem was it needed a 5-pin connector whereas the Volvo has a 4-pin as standard, so I would plug it in but it needed a constant powersupply to the 5th pin in order to get the radio memory and screen to work, so I'm keeping it in reserve as its very nice (I'm fond of the brand as its the same brand in the quattro) and will go very nicely in a vehicle of my future collection :D
Current Jobs to do (12/9/20):
Fix Central Locking
Bodywork
Suspension creaking below 40mph

dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 860
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: What period aftermarket radio/casette to use?

Post by dcwalker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:42 am

Ahhh...brilliant!

I didn't notice that when we were fitting it, but then again it was dark as I recall and we were working by the light of a streetlamp :lol:

Yes, I remember it being a good unit, and as you say it will go well in any car of that period but particularly any VW/Audi since they were the stndard fit brand...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 1995 440 ES)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Post Reply