Doorlock replacing

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Ral
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Doorlock replacing

Post by Ral » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:54 pm

I recently bought a driverside doorlock and key on ebay because my key won't turn when I put it in. I've removed the inside panels before to have a peek and thought it would be straightforward to replace the thing. Hm. Yes. So anyway. Having fiddled with it, and not getting my old lock out because the screw that holds on the black outside panel is knackered, of course my current lock then goes and starts working as it's supposed to. Which of course it will stop doing again in a few days if that, so I came up with a few questions before I attempt this again:

1) Does anyone have any spare clips that the large grey inside panel hangs in at the bottom, because I broke one and am probably looking at breaking a few more :p

2) How do you get the bit around the large bottom speaker off? I'm just a little scared of snapping stuff by forcing it. That area is the only bit I couldn't get off and so I had that grey panel hanging on the inside of the door.

3) I left the plastic films intact, but if I take it off, will it stick again, is there replacement to be had somewhere, or is it ok without any? I would think maybe it'll get a bit draftier or something?

4) The key I bought was stuck inside the lock. And I do mean stuck, as in I couldn't remove it, or turn it in the lock. Is that because of disconnected electrics, or did I get a broken lock?

5) Because of the way it looks, I just assumed the electrics for central locking and alarm are just "plug and play". Fill in the blanks in my knowledge please if there is anything else I should know before starting attempt #2.

Thanks for any info and help :)

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Re: Doorlock replacing

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:12 pm

Ral wrote:1) Does anyone have any spare clips that the large grey inside panel hangs in at the bottom, because I broke one and am probably looking at breaking a few more :p

2) How do you get the bit around the large bottom speaker off? I'm just a little scared of snapping stuff by forcing it. That area is the only bit I couldn't get off and so I had that grey panel hanging on the inside of the door.

3) I left the plastic films intact, but if I take it off, will it stick again, is there replacement to be had somewhere, or is it ok without any? I would think maybe it'll get a bit draftier or something?
1) I got some of those from Volvo. They aren't too expensive. May be worth investing in some new ones anyway, they are much more flexible when new... Part number is: 3121595, and they cost about 40p each...

2) I presume you're talking the storage pocket? To get that off, I think you need to take the screws from the front of the speaker off first (by removing the speaker grill), then remove the door card and remove the screws from the back.

3) The plastic trims usually rip and tear everywhere when you take them off as they are usually very brittle. You might get them off with alot of patience to be able to re-use them, but i'd be very surprised! Mine doesn't have them anymore and i haven't noticed much difference to be honest. I expect if you wanted replacements you could probably get them-maybe from Volvo, maybe from a decent auto shop...

Thats me done!
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:27 pm

umm, just gently pull off the internal triangle, then take the circlip off of the back of the lock cylinder and it will just slide out (you may need to put the key in) no need to remove all the trim.

EDIT: I expect you've got the entire lock, including all the plastic bits.... I wouldn't have thought there is any need to change this TBH, the problem is usually the brass keepers ketting worn/sticky or bent when some fucker tries to nick your car....hmmm, three years on I still havent changed my passenger side lock......
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

Ral

Post by Ral » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:07 am

Dan the 480 Man (mind if I call you Dan?): Thanks for the tip on the clips. The speaker grill comes off by just sliding it back and forth and left and right gently? It just seemed to get stuck at some point and I didn't dare push it any harder.

Chriss1roll: If by "whole lock" you mean the cylinder and the plate it is attached to, then yes I do. I don't see how I can take it out without taking off the inside trim of the door though, as it has got all the wiring attached to it as well?

Thanks for the info guys. I must look like a newbie (cuz I am), but with the sunny weather I'm quite enjoying learning to fiddle about with my car :)

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:39 pm

Ral wrote:
Chriss1roll: If by "whole lock" you mean the cylinder and the plate it is attached to, then yes I do. I don't see how I can take it out without taking off the inside trim of the door though, as it has got all the wiring attached to it as well?
You can't.....thats not quite what I meant... You CAN however, take just the cylinder out of the lock...

2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:08 pm

With regards to the grill coming off-i just slid a flat head screwdriver under it gently and just levered it off. I found mine just snapped off relativley easily. and Dan is fine :D
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Ral

Post by Ral » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:39 pm

OooOoOo :) That theoratically removes quite a few worries about botching electrics. Only to replace them by cylinder replacement of course, but I can practice on my new one. Thanks bunches guys, I'm gonna have fun with this. Literally :)