Leak (with pic)

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

G-Funk
480 Newbie

Leak (with pic)

Post by G-Funk » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:39 pm

Hello everyone.

Before the moderator posts stating "use the search function", I already have and although there are many posts on the subject of leaks, I think my problem is slightly different.

I found water under the carpet in the boot but only at the drivers side (480 GT). It appears to only stay in the boot and doesn't get as far as the rear footwell. I took the interior panels off and my girlfriend poured water over the outside whilst I looked to see where the water was coming in. The only place it seemed to be coming in was through this vent (see pic), and actually through the flaps that open on it. I presume this vent has some sort of purpose so I don't just want to seal it up!

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know the solution?

POE
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by POE » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:05 pm

HI first i would really check the sealing on your rear lights ,very notorious for leaking, the black flap is for air pressure in car to release when shutting doors,you would get very very small amounts of water butnot enough to cause problems ,if there was a problem with the sealing in that area it would have happened years ago unless had damage, hope this helps at all :wink:

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:07 pm

Your get told off for the massive picture :lol:

Anyways... That's a vent which exits behind the rear bumper I think?

something about exhaust wenting but it's the wrong way so i'm prob wrong :?

Anyone else know?

Your sure it's not from leaking rear clusters ? I mean from the top parts.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

G-Funk
480 Newbie

Post by G-Funk » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:23 pm

Well we covered the rear clusters with water, all along the tops and no water appeared on the inside. Remarkably the sealant along the tops of the clusters still looks in tact!

Anyway thanks for the replies. I'll probably take the clusters off in the summer and clean them up so I'll re-seal them properly when I put them back on.

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:11 pm

it can sometimes leak in from the side window seals, try pouring the water onto the fibreglass moulding above the side windows and see if it leaks in.
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:10 pm

Spray the rear-side windows with lots of water, especially the edges at the C-pillar. The seal of the rear-side window can cause these problems!
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

Naz
480 Newbie

Post by Naz » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:31 pm

Have you found where the leak is from yet?

I have a GT with a leak in the same area, the seal around the top of the lights looks ok. Will take em out when I have time to have a closer look.
'94 Flame Red 480 GT 2.0

G-Funk
480 Newbie

Post by G-Funk » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:52 pm

No not yet. I'm waiting for some dry weather and then I'm gonna take the clusters off, get all the old sealant off and then re-seal them using some clear sealant.

I think I'm also gonna attempt the 'make your clusters shine' procedure but again I'm waiting for some better weather.

Bloody English weather eh!

storm480
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by storm480 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:48 pm

How about the rubbers from your side markers? they can dry out too...

Grtzz Erwin
Storm by name, Storm by nature...
- '95 480 S 2.0i (FULL options...)
- '00 S80 T6 (POWERRRRRR...)

heavend
Knows where Volvo is from

Rear leak

Post by heavend » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:53 am

The tips given are valid - rear side windows, orange side markers & lamp clusters. I've found rust & a leaky seam under the rear bumper on all three of my cars. The seam is upside down. Water & crap pools there and eats its way in. Bet you a fiver you have rust there. [/img]

hjkort
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by hjkort » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:41 am

As for the function of the vents:

These are used for the air circulation inside the car. If you don't have vents on the rear of the car then the cabin gets a little pressurised while driving. Alterations in cabinpressure can make you very carsick.

Air has to be allowed out there.
[color=cyan]member 1968[/color]
[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n225/hjkort/banner3.jpg[/img]

ParisBlue480
480 Newbie

Post by ParisBlue480 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:24 am

I've exactly the same problems with that vents. There's leaking water at the top and sides of that little clusters. I'm 100% for sure my rearlights and back windows are water resists!! :eek: (if possible to say that by a Volvo 480 :wink: )

If I spray some water between the side corners of the rear cushion the vents will be wet. And also the compartiment between trunk and side panel (so it wil not flo under the trunk carpet) will be wet too. In bad case the water floods to the bakwards underneath the rear lights...D@MN D@MN :badmood:

How to solve? Can I use silicone to water resist the borders of the vents?