61L Tank Calibration

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

61L Tank Calibration

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:30 pm

Some of you might have noticed the odd post about me having trouble with the info centre computer. Anyway, long story short I've got the right one now, but I installed it today and when I tried to calibrate it like in the haybnes manual (and like everyone else has said in other posts) it didn't do as expected. Started up with the reset button pressed, display read 46 and the bars were off. Turned the potentiometer around and the number and the bars didn't do anything.

Fiddled about 4 a bit trying different combinations but nothing seems to have an effect.

The car is full to the top of fuel and the bars are on reading FULL normally but I just was wonering if anyone had any idea why the later model infocentre doesn't have a calibrate feature.

Possible it might have self calibration or somehing clever. The previous two I've tried in the car (took out because the older ones don't do the fuel averages right on the newer cars) calibrated just as you would expected.

Any ideas anyone?
Cheers in advance
James Carruthers

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:36 pm

Hold down the reset button and switch on ignition.
remove the blanking plug, and with a tiny screwdriver adjust the screw till the display reads 61.0 litres.

Is this the procedure you are trying?
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:41 pm

Remove the plastic surround incase your not turning that thing round through that tiny hole.

;)
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

dragon
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by dragon » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:33 pm

And make sure you have the infocentre switched onto the "range" segment before you start the whole procedure (I think thats important, someone will correct me if it isn't)
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:41 pm

followed that exact "hold down the button procedure" and i also had the plastic surround off because i couldn't get the blanking plug out (scratched the knob slightly though with plyers, damn!). i can't remember what position it was in, but i think i tried it in range mode while doing this as i tried a few different combinations of switches and what have you.

anyone else ever calibrated their 61L tank car?

gerrsvolvo
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by gerrsvolvo » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:23 am

Because you have no luck as you descbribe, leads me to one other question.
What did you do?
Did you change the fueltank, from 47 liters to an 61 liter Tank?
If so than it might be that your computer does not have the possibility to change the capacity of the fueltank.
From what year is your 480?
Gerrsvolvo

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:14 pm

nope its a 91 car so has a 61L tank as standard. i have full service history so im fairly confident its the original tank. i will monitor the fuel gague in the next few days until it empties (i get just over 300 miles between fill up). hopefully its very clever and is self calibrating

midnight rambler
480 Newbie

Post by midnight rambler » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:40 pm

I did mine when i first bought the car. I dont remember the bars changing, but what is important is that the display changes to show capacity. 61L ...

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:53 pm

you say you swapped info centers. ... just this clock and print, or also the clockhousing ? ??

do you have trouble now ?

You might now have a clockhousing of the correct year, but not the correct type. The colours of the 2 18 pinns connectors have to be the same. for instance red-grey. etc.

luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:07 pm

i've just changed the info centre circuit board that fits on with 3 bolts and a mulit-pin connector on to the clockset. infocentre display is unchanged. i have the correct model info centre im fairly certain.

i've driven 150 miles this week since i last posted about it and the bars are down to just over half (bit too far over half though). i'll see how it goes towards the end of the gague (another 160-175 miles)