Help, I'm drowning!!!

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

kirsty_2003
Advanced 480 rookie

Help, I'm drowning!!!

Post by kirsty_2003 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:13 am

Whenever it rains, there is always a lake under the peddles (right hand drive) i dont think its coming through the door. so i havent a clue where it is coming thru

also it floods in the boot which also isnt very good. anyone know y?

also, the info centre says im only doing 24.4 mpg which is really bad, its drinking fuel like a dehydrated camel and im running outta money. the emissions are perfect. the same (poss better) as when it came out the factory. ne1 got ne ideas?????
I want a 480 :(

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:24 am

Hello
Your rear light clusters have a leaky seal around them. You should buy some bathroom sealer type stuff and re-seal them. You should be careful when you remove the cluster because they might break and they cost about 120 each :shock: .
Whenever it rains, there is always a lake under the peddles (right hand drive) i dont think its coming through the door. so i havent a clue where it is coming thru
Open the bonet and check if the drain plugs are blocked.
your find one of each side of the car and one is next to the black triangle relay box and they both have rubber tubes coming from them!

Good luck! :D
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:24 am

That is pretty normal for MPG around town/B roads etc., unless you are doing about 55MP/H down the motorway when you can avg 40MPG

For more info on rear clusters look under the FAQ section here: http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/index2.php?op=480info
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:10 am

yep it will be the rear light lusters. parking nose down can get your feet wet also. some chance the air intake box drainage is blocked.
Try the rear light to seal (i did it on the outside, looks ok if you work neat)

than i still got water, locked me up in the car with a gardenhose on the roof, removed some rear panels and saw water coming along the third pillar (c-pillar) I sealed the outside roof rubbers too.

be sure to dry all the thick foam mats and rear seats: they keep the car moist, which will cause trouble in the electrics.

the usage it mentiones is the maximum. so full throttle. if you drive slope down, and release the throttlepedal it should tell you 0. so its an instant. the average will be ok i guess. Maybe the infocenter gets the wrong information of a loose/dirty wire on a sensor. read the manual on how the info system works. one position back there should be a better reading. else look how many miles you have driven, as you have the receipt after fueling up, divide them with the gallons, this is the average use. ( and should a bit come near the 2nd position of the infocenter turnswitch of the left. (this is in LHD)

Luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

chriskay

Post by chriskay » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:11 am

Quote:

Your rear light clusters have a leaky seal around them. You should buy some bathroom sealer type stuff and re-seal them. You should be careful when you remove the cluster because they might break and they cost about 120 each .

If you don't want to take the rear light clusters out, do what I did; get a tube of black silicone & seal the joints from the outside. Carefully done, its quite invisible. Chris.
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

johnd
480 Expert

Post by johnd » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:23 pm

Make the sure the relay box cover is closed and snug also as if it isn't it's water straight into the footwell!!......as I found out! :cryhard:

John

David Thornber
Started learning about 480

Post by David Thornber » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:32 pm

Mine is now totally dry, but did leak through the rear lights, and also through the boot (rear hatch) seal. Part of the lip the seal sits on had rusted away allowing water to pass the seal.

It's amazing what silicone will fix!!

pt
480 Newbie

Help, I'm drowning!!!

Post by pt » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:11 pm

The trouble with bathroom sealants is that they are white - and my 480 is black.
I've used a Roof and Gutter Sealant from 151 Products Ltd, www.151.co.uk. It's used with a standard sealant gun and cost me one whole £.
I didn't have to worry about sealant showing so I bridged the gap between lens and body completely. You can do it without removing the light cluster at all.
Did one side in the dry weather and waited for the rain - its bone dry on that side. Now I've got to wait for more dry weather to do the other side.

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:49 pm

I used clear silicone sealant on mine, they wern't actually leaking but I thought I'd get it done before winter. I removed the clusters so I could clean up the bonding surfaces first.
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:49 pm

Yup, black silicone on the outside worked best for me.
Squirt it in, use your finger to push it into the gaps then go over it with a wet cloth.

pol

babyatom
480 Newbie

Post by babyatom » Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:25 pm

I can't find it now but there used to be a post about someone having wet seatbelts. I read it but didn't pay much attention - all my water was coming in the rear light way so I didn't need to!
So I sealed up the rear lights (clear silicone) and that was that. The other day it totally chucked it down and when I got in, the seatbelt was soaking wet and I thought, "how did they say to fix that on the forum?"
So, how do I fix this? Can I squirt silicone in somewhere to stop it or do I need to strip the interior out and 'sit in the car with a hose pipe' (so to speak)?
Cheers,
Ben

johnd
480 Expert

Post by johnd » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:04 pm

babyatom,

Sounds like you may have a leaking s/roof as the only way I could fathom them getting wet is for the water to come down the pillars. I stand corrected if wrong and apologise for not knowing the remedy to this....wel aside from the obvious....new sunroof or seal strip. I would try a seal strip first though.

John

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:19 pm

I used to have wet seatbelts. It was the sunroof. The old broken pins thing...

pol

chriskay

Post by chriskay » Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:31 pm

Hi, babyatom. The info you're looking for is under '480 roof trim'. If you do a search you'll find it. The silicone repair cured mine.
Luck, Chris
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:36 pm

If I am not mistaken there are people whitout moonroof and wet seat belts (b- pillar) or wet ecu's (a-pillar) I have made several threads about sealing the roof rubber, than can leak water to all three pillars. (the one below the outside roof trim, running from front window to the hatch.) After sealing the rear lights I had still trouble, solved now by the roofrubber sealing.

I like silecon far better on my 480 than in a woman :lol:

Luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:40 pm

volvofox wrote: I like silecon far better on my 480 than in a woman :lol:

Luck
JPF