Doors wont stay open

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

m4dn35s
480 Newbie

Doors wont stay open

Post by m4dn35s » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:58 pm

Hey all,

I have a couple of problems on me 480es, :cry:

First one and most annoyin is that the drivers door doesnt stay open does anyone know what could cause it? and how i can rectify the problem cos its startin to annoy me! :angry:
also just lately the passenger window needs a little help to make it open could this be the electric window motor on its way out?

Hope someone can help
Thanks Matt :D
I might b dead in 50 years so might aswell enjoy the short time that i'm here.

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chriskay » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:25 pm

Almost certainly failure of the check rod in some way. Take off the door interior trim(Haynes explains how), & you can see the check rod. I think it has a spring-loaded detent which keeps the door open. Can't be very expensive. Luck, Chris
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:29 pm

take of the door panels. You will find a big odd twisted spring, which gets a grip on the opener rod. replace this one. If your problem is serious, the braket that holds the spring has been broken out of the bodywork. this is a known problem. Have it welded. (this is not visible from the outside/front)

I feel its a bit normal, the doors fall back. you can get used to.... but.. take care of the ladies feet and leggs.

But than again... If their not fast enough, they don't belong in this car.... :lol:

luck
JPF

PS : grease the window guiders and the mecannics behind the panel. Maybe ajust the window guide rails.
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:20 am

If your problem is serious, the braket that holds the spring has been broken out of the bodywork. this is a known problem

I had the bracket shear off from the inside of the door, found that it had already been welded once, my dad managed to bolt it back together and it's been fine since.
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

Ettore Bugatti
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ettore Bugatti » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:22 pm

My father didn't want to do repair it when he saw the teared bracket. You cannot drill there and it is to weld it back. And when you weld it or screw it, it is probably not strong enough for the bracket to stay there. But is not very handy this lazy door

midnight rambler
480 Newbie

Post by midnight rambler » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:35 pm

m4 You might be lucky, as I was last week. Drivers door had same prblem but when I removed door panel I found the two M6 bolts holding the spring assy. had fallen out!
Good luck!

m4dn35s
480 Newbie

Post by m4dn35s » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:15 pm

cheers lads il have a look when i get some time away from work, hopefully i'l be able to fix it without too much expense :D

Thanks Matt :D
I might b dead in 50 years so might aswell enjoy the short time that i'm here.