Petrol Filler Pipe - Rattle

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Huw
480 Newbie

Petrol Filler Pipe - Rattle

Post by Huw » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:18 pm

Hi

There is an annoying rattle from the rear of my 480s. Upon checking, I noticed that the moulded cannister that is integral with the fuel filler pipe in the rear wheel arch has something inside it which rattles when the cannister in knocked. What is this cannister and what could be causing it to rattle?

On another note, I have a slight petrol leak where the filler pipe joins the tank. is it a simple case of disconnection, clean up and refit?

Any answers appreciated, the rattle is driving me nuts!! :wall:

Regards

Huw

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:08 pm

Welcome to the forum

I think the canister is a fuel filter, as for the leak, i couldn't say.
If that's the only rattle, don't complain!!! :D
480's are perhaps the only car which is quieter when you put the window down. :lol:
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

Huw
480 Newbie

Post by Huw » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:29 pm

Cheers for the reply

I must be in the minority then, as my 480s has been pretty quite in the 2 years that I have had it (one owner from new, was 70K now the other side of 110K), hence my fustration with this rattle.

The fuel filter is actually the round canister in front of the fuel tank. I just need to know what is in this canister is that is attached to the fuel filler pipe before I cut a hole in it to extract whatever is reponsible for this rattle.

Regards

Huw

Vovlo 480S complete with rattle

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:52 am

Yep, youre right. its not a filter.

I had trouble with it too, as my new tyres had eaten it :( its actually a tube, and there is a piston like thing inside. To know what it it exactly you have to look in the downloadable partsbook (thx.dragon)

My guess is that it is a valve that shuts of the breather as the car is tipped by accident and liing on the roof.

I glued some PVC drain pipe around it to shut the hole in it, and mounted it back, out of reach of the tyres.

Luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

Huw
480 Newbie

Post by Huw » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:37 am

Cheers for the reply JPF

I have looked at the parts book, and there are two different systems, mine is the later system where the cansiter is moulded to the shape of the inner bodywork and is labelled as just a fuel filler pipe. I can only assume that within this canister is the same valve as for the earlier tube to which you refer. I do know that there are two line coming in to the base fom the top of the fuel tank, with a line from the top going to the engine.

The main problem I have is that removal of this item requires that the fuel filler pipe is also removed. As far as I can see, this would require taking apart half the rear end of the car (It looks like volvo took a fuel filler pipe then proceeded to build a car around it :wink: ), hence my thoughts on a possible solution of cutting it open and removing whatever is inside and has obviously come lose.

Thanks

Huw