Noises, rattles, squeaks - is there an answer?

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

babyatom
480 Newbie

Noises, rattles, squeaks - is there an answer?

Post by babyatom » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:57 pm

My 1995 Celebration is in good condition, everything works (for now) and it drives well. The only problem I have with it is all the bloody annoying noises, rattles and squeaks! I've tightened everything I can but it's no good.
Now I know everyone has this probelm, to a degree, but has anyone out there come up with an ingenious way of making these cars quiet? Any ideas?
Cheers,
Ben[/i]

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:33 pm

Ear Plugs! :lol:

Sorry, not much help I know.

Someone was talking about a 3M soundproofing adhesive product, which sticks to the inside of doors, behind speakers etc.
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:07 pm

I usually use the squeaky noise reduction function button on my Kenwwood stereo. Looks like this '^'.I believe it's built into most other modern stereo equipment too.

Are you talking about interior or exterior noises??

Sorry, that's not much help either, but it works for me!

pol

C6REW
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by C6REW » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:24 pm

Hi Ben,

On an old thread we went through this in some depth. The majority of the noise comes from the door panel. Obviously other places as well.

It was earlier this year and I had just bought a Turbo and the noise was very annoying. A little research showed that the noise was coming from the clips at the bottom of the door that hold the door panel in place. I sprayed with WD40 and the noise went!

Give it a go.

Regards

Chris

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:09 pm

well to the interior, were most people suffer from i don't have any trouble, exept two spots, 1) the beltlocks (metallic "iep" sound)(just grease) and the left upper corner of the major dash. I had have a piece of tough foam wedged between the mirror and the dash, which helped a few years, until it fel between the dash.( I have to make a new one)

I have no door panel noise. This is because i glue them everytime I have opend them with some spots of silecone (volvo480 tool number two, after contactspray) The original plastic click plugs have gone numb. I also put all the connectors wedged in the original door connectorbox

further on there must be some exterior noises, which i don't mind/or got used to.

I am working on noise from the rear exhaust ( suckers from quick fit don't know ater three times to fit their fony exhaust ) I have made a vertical silencer, which i still have to proof (tomorow)

The cheap tyres on the 5 spoke OZ wheels hit the innerbodywork. I simply try to knock back the spots that hit it, but maybe I have to soon find another way. Its not dammaging the tyre.

I wonder what happened to the technic the (japoneese?) developed 15 years or so ago: they simply recorded the noise, and in almost the same instant put the noise in converted (negative puls) way back, leaving silence.....

luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

dragon
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by dragon » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:04 pm

I wonder what happened to the technic the (japoneese?) developed 15 years or so ago: they simply recorded the noise, and in almost the same instant put the noise in converted (negative puls) way back, leaving silence.....
We were having a conversation about this very thing the other day... Would be excellent in my car ;) - We didn't know the answer to where this tech went...
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]