Drag Coeficient

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Drag Coeficient

Post by MatBat » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:47 pm

Hello All

Does anybode know the Drag Coeficient of our beloved cheese wedge?
It would be interesting as I imagine it would be quite low (popups down obvcourse!) :D
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

dragon
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by dragon » Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:07 am

I seem to recall someone asking similar on the old forum a LONG time ago, because they were creating a model 480 for Need for Speed or similar PC game - I _think_ DBS answered this question fairly authoratatively - unfortunately it was so long ago the data was lost from EZboard... perhaps he can come back again though...
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

levensnevel
480 Expert

Post by levensnevel » Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:52 am

MatBat,

Guess it's time you read our own website a bit more carefully :hopping:
Than you might be in for a bit of a shock as it reads:
qte...
Remarkable is that the car has practically no spoilers or other earodynamic parts. Mr Koch: "The aerodynamics are in the main design, that is the tendency. Cars will have less and less need for additions, since the bottom becomes more flat all the time. You often see a low spoiler to prevent air from flowing underneath the car, but when there are practically no parts to obstruct the airflow there it is perfectly all right for air to flow underneath."
This brings us to the delicate matter of Cw-values... Volvo modestly administers a Cw-value of below 0.34, a value that doesn't appear to be extremely low. But Rob Koch knows what he's talking about: "Values entered for most vehicles only aply for the stylingmodels without gulleys, or with only one mirror or very thin tires. You must always keep in mind what you are comparing. Honda has administered the same Cw-value for the Aerodeck as Volvo did for the 480, but after comparison in a windtunnel the Aerodeck appears to have a Cw-value of 0.37 when it is similar equiped as the 480."
...unqte
Niets of niemand zegt dat het echt moet
En toch, of juist daarom,wil je het beleven....
Gammal kärlek rostar aldrig!

Sweet memories
at this moment a Toyota Prius editione Tech MY2008 - 203K km+4K km

dbsvolvos
480 Expert

Post by dbsvolvos » Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:15 pm

hehe , missed this post , but then general discussions arent my favourite topic.

of course Cw or Cx or Cd are just coefficients of the aerodynamic equation that make aerodyanmic forces . Its quite possible to have a low Cd value , that means nothing because it is dimesionless ie 0.34 - what?

if you bring frontal area into the answer from the other side of the equation the youll find that this is the ratio of frontal area against drag force , you see you can have Cd of 0,34 but the drag force could be huge ie a large frontal area , meaning you need more power to drive it through the wind , therefore honda may have a smaller frontal area for a 0.34 drag coefficient meaning that their 'shape ' is less efficient , so there you have it

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:21 am

:eek: Maybe I should go back to college!
Wow that was a very concise description DBS!
Thanks though :D
1996 Mini Classic 1275.