Snapped Boss on Headlight Motor

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Davie
480 Newbie

Snapped Boss on Headlight Motor

Post by Davie » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:14 am

Hi All,
Have enjoyed reading through the posts here. I have recently purchased a 1989 480ES and wonder if someone could shed some light on one of many electrical problems(I shall be posting again, no doubt!). The headlamps were in the up position when I bought the car, the owner told me that there was a problem with the lamps. When I dismantled the LH(Offside) mechanism, the linkage had sheared from the motor. There was a small disk of alloy metal with a hole in the middle where the linkage located into. This disk had sheared from the motor housing. The previous owned had obviously bodged the lamps to remain in the up position. There was a relay lying loose in the relay box. If replace/repair this motor linkage, and put the relay back in, are there any reasons why this could have occurred in the first place that could cause this fault again.
Thanks in advance,

Davie. :wink:

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:45 am

another scot, woohoo! where abouts do you stay?

it could be that someone has tried to push the headlight down when its in the up position and snapped the motor spindle. less likeley is that the wee gas damper has jammed but i doubt this would do that sort of damage.
replace the motor and try it, thats the only way you can know, if the headlight assembley moves up and down freely before you fit the new motor there shouldnt be a problem.
its a fairly easy job to change the motor, if you live near me i can give you a hand, ive done a fair few now and can just about do it blind folded!!

i also have a spare motor for the passenger side you can have for a very reasonable price (volvo is £120+vat!)

:D
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST