What kit or other stuff to use for sealing rear-window?

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

What kit or other stuff to use for sealing rear-window?

Post by coyote1980 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:06 pm

Hi all,

I am still getting water in my boot and I think I have traced it down to the place where the cable-connector is at the top of the rear-window. Water is slowly seaping through. It isn't much what comes through per minute, but when it is raining heavily for days, well, you get the idea... :cryhard:

My question is what can I use to seal this. As the plastic where I need to kit is black I want something which is also black. I have been doubting between four things:
- liquid gasket (unknown price)
- silicone-kit (@ 8,95 a tube)
- acryl-kit (@3,95 a tube)
- unknown, some sort of kit which was available at Brezan Carparts and was specially made for this (@ 11 euro a tube).

Anyone who can advise me on how to proceed? Surley someone must have done this before (succesfully)?
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

hereagain
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by hereagain » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:33 pm

I used Clear Silicon, using the "normal" type of Gun that you would use to seal a bath. The trick here is to make the hole on the Silicon small and work slowly. Practice on something other than your car first. Another good thing to know is to to spite on your finger to smooth it. Spite (from your mouth for the dutch guys) really is the only thing to stop the silicon sticking on your fingers and making a right old mess. Learnt all this from my father in law, he has a windows and conservatory company.
Black 480ES J Plate
http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v14/Hereagain/
Steve
Cambs

hereagain

Post by hereagain » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:35 pm

Another thought, as you do nopt want to get anything to mark the exterior of your car, try removing the roof inside the car and sealing from there...it might work.
Black 480ES J Plate
Steve
Cambs

Renter
Started learning about 480

Post by Renter » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:07 pm

You can buy black color silicon sealant. Check Gamma i think i bought it there.

Regards, Renter
Volvo 480 2.0 ES, 1995, Paris Blue

ESone
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by ESone » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:55 am

I use bath silicone, and it works...if only i could find the place where the water is coming from :cry:
Black Label

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:53 am

hereagain wrote:Another thought, as you do nopt want to get anything to mark the exterior of your car, try removing the roof inside the car and sealing from there...it might work.
Hi Steve,

I believe it is not where the cable come out of the roof of the car, but where the connector reaches the rear-window where it leaks... At least I hope it is just that...

My brother had some black silicone-kit which he used for the kitchen, can use that! Will try this weekend.
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

hereagain

Post by hereagain » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:25 am

Tricky!!..make sure you make your hole small, work slow and have a spit covered finger ready...best of luck
Black 480ES J Plate
Steve
Cambs

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:55 pm

the black kitchen type silicone kit will be ok. but it may not so much be acril type, but silecone.

if no fun, you can paint some kits.
for spite (spuug) you can also use all kinds of (dishwash) soap on your fingers, in other sircumstances also a special plastic chissel, they often do extra on a tube of kit.

I used sista bathroom kit, with high silecone content (transperant) UV resitant (for the outside kitting of rear lights, roof rubbers)

The best (strongest) kit there is is the 100% silecone kit, in small glue tubes, suitable to make aquariums

Luck
JPF

PS :How did you found out where the leak was ?
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen