480 Roof trim

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Derek Johnson
480 Newbie

480 Roof trim

Post by Derek Johnson » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:04 pm

I'm still chasing water leaks and I suspect that the seal under the side roof panels is leaking. These are the ones which fit from the door rearwards to the tailgate on each side. Any ideas how they are fixed and how do I remove them? They seem to be plastic/fibreglass. The rubber seal goes from wingscreen to tailgate. Anyone removed these please reply. Thanks :cry:

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chriskay » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:24 pm

Hi, Don't know how this panel is fixed, but I cured leaks in this area by peeling back the rubber strip with a stick, cleaning the gap & running a bead of clear silicone in there. No more leaks. :)
Chris
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

Derek Johnson
480 Newbie

Post by Derek Johnson » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. The rubber is V shaped which side did you seal? or did you do both?

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chriskay » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:51 pm

I just did the groove between the rubber & the roof panel. Did it both sides of the car & all the way from front to back. The worst part was cleaning it out-had a lot of gunge in there. I used a thin stick wrapped with cloth, then about a 2mm. bead of silicone into the base of the groove.
Good luck, Chris
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:15 pm

As also answered to you private :

them "asterix" wings you have to open door and hatch, push and slide backwards, but at the doorside it hangs deep over the bodywork, you have to lift it there. It is mount with U shaped grooves that fold around a plastic nailhead shaped plastic bolt.

but be warned, its very breakable.

I broke one of the fittings and had to use a real big dot of silecon to stick it.

Like the idlervalve motor, its not meant to be opened :( Don't do unless nescesary.
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

Derek Johnson
480 Newbie

Post by Derek Johnson » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:16 pm

Thanks guys, I guess I will try the silicone first without removing the trims. I would be pleased to hear from anyone else who has done this already. Regards