My windows mist up.

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

too high grade of humidity in the car !

Post by volvofox » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:58 pm

remove the back seat lower parts and the truck mat. they must be verry wet. the "misting" point is earlier as your car is damp. I had this problem too, very quickly. since i sealed the rearlights and the roof (no sunroof!) Now this did not apear anymore! (no matter what we do in the car.... play cards, scrabble, drink, eat hamburgers.... (hehehehe)

"drying the floor with the tap open" is not a good option,(like special films to the windows) Best is to check for leaks in the car under the gardenhose, dry the foam parts like the rear seat bottoms and mats, and seal well. eventually check again.

donot use a humidity absorber, like them pots from rubson or bison: the directions for use say they turn iron quickly into rust (by experience!)

Luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:03 pm

First time I did It thought that the car was on fire :crazy:
it comes out just like fog but after a few mins it's OK but I still have mist.
I went out tonight and the window was misted up and i had to wipe it (very hard) yes it's like a film on the window.

Maybe it has flu?
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

dragon
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by dragon » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:08 pm

Well, I don't think my car is wet in any way, but I will double check when I get back home this weekend....
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

TheXile
Started learning about 480

Steamy windows

Post by TheXile » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:52 am

Hi Martin,
You have aircon although hardly used. I bet there is water gathered in the matrix because of a blocked engine bay drain pipe ( we have discussed this before ). See if it is blocked first by carefully putting a siutably sized stick up it, oo errr !
This happened to mine anyway, and when like now you start using the heater, it evaporates the water into the car.
I don't know if Dragon has aircon, and if not, you can take this theory and blow it away :kill:
Otherwise as everyone else says, check for water in the usual places, under floor mats etc.
Good luck
Gedda
2 Marina Coupe's, 2 Ford Capri's, 1 Austin Maestro, 1 Polo, 1 Volvo 440, 1 Volvo 850, and at last my '95 Celebration.

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:09 pm

TheXile,

Yes we did talk about this. But I remember that i'm looking for.
Dragon has no air con.
Audi TT

Gimle
480 Connoisseur

Post by Gimle » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:55 pm

Or perhaps your car is finally becoming the dragon you already are? ;)
Greetz,
Gimle

1994, Volvo 480 2.0 ES 2002 - 2005
2001, Opel Vectra 2.2dti 2003 - 2007 R.I.P.
1998, Renault Mégane Coupé 1.6e 2007 -

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:54 pm

Checked under the boot and found no damp :D Cleaned the windows with vinegar on newspaper and no problems yet :hopping:

Thank you all! I hope it's now fixed. (need to check air con)
Audi TT

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:53 pm

It's back ! :help:
Audi TT

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:21 am

Well sounds like your cars have contracted an STD(steamy turbo disease).

That fog thing definately isn't normal...!! You must have water collecting somewhere up the front, inside the dash / console / matrix???

Have you got a sunroof that whistles at high speeds?? This was the cause of my leaking when i first got mine. Check to see if your front seatbelts are wet at the bottom just out of interest...???

pol

big al
480 Newbie

Post by big al » Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:14 pm

Are you loosing any water at all from your cooling system?. It could be that your heater matrix is leaking - even a very small leak will generate a lot of steam from your heater outlets as the water gets onto the matrix and is changed to steam. It can only go out one way - where your hot air is supposed to come from. Try some radweld or Bar-leak.

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:09 pm

TheXile, I need a pic of this pipe your talking about. I search the old site but it found only one post by you! :help:

I went to tesco and i could hardly see.
Audi TT

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:25 pm

I can't find any leaks! No sunroof sounds, Just sarted doing a few weeks ago.

TheXile you have email!
Audi TT

TheXile
Started learning about 480

playing misty for me

Post by TheXile » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:50 pm

Hi Martin,
I've just replied to you with the piccie. Hope you got it and good luck.
Gedda :shock:
2 Marina Coupe's, 2 Ford Capri's, 1 Austin Maestro, 1 Polo, 1 Volvo 440, 1 Volvo 850, and at last my '95 Celebration.

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:34 am

Hi everyone. I stuck a stick up that hole and some light oil coloured stuff came out :? The mist is comming out of the vents and when i return the heat on loads and bloody loads of misty / fog crap comes out and floods the cabin and i can't see anything at all.
Audi TT

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:33 pm

doh, bloody windows :angry:
Audi TT

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:33 pm

Just be strict then, if there are no drains in the lowest points of the vents or in the "Heaterbox". just be brave and rip the thing in pieces, and look where the water comes from. For check on the heater radiator you have to run the car hot dough (!) This way, with the system pressurized you will be able to see a leak, else no.

One better test is to go to a garage and do the pressure test. They have special coolant caps with a manometer on it. If the system hasn't pressure, you know it leaks somewhere, seen your problem, the heater radiator.

but third wise, you could have maybe rainwater getting in the vent ducs, that doesn't get out , due to a clogged drain, you did not see yet.
.......................................................................................

So what did that oily stuff come from ? I think its coolant.( this is greasy too, and old one can also be rust coloured in stead of blue.) This means you must have a leaky heater radiator/or hose

Keep us informed, stay calm

Luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

dragon
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by dragon » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:32 pm

Quick update on mine - can't find any dampness anywhere in the cabin, don't have A/C, cleaned the windows with a different wipe and the problem went away, but only until tonight, when it has returned (slightly) - haven't checked in the engine bay yet for any signs of leaks, but I don't think I am losing any water from the cooling system - Out of interest, when I turn my heat up, the "fog" that comes out only lasts for a few seconds, but it smells bad (like TCP, or like burnt electronics if anyone knows the kind of smell I mean - a bit like rootbeer smells, but without the sweetness) - the "fog" vanishes after a few seconds, but the smell remains, although not so strong - the "fog" can come out of the vents even if the windows aren't steamed up, so I think these are seperate issues. Also, if I stop the car and leave the engine running and turn the vent fan to 0, the fog slowly rises from the vents, but vanishes as soon as the car starts moving...

Oh yes, I have a whistling sunroof, but I always have done, and as we have had no rain in the UK lately, I don't believe it's letting in any water (the whistling hasn't got any worse in the 2 years I've had it, so if it was leaking, I think I'd have seen some evidence by now?)
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:09 am

OK When I turn the heat on I get shed loads of fog and can't see ! I have now shut all of the vents and that's slowing it down.

Now when i leave the car and come back I can see mist in the car and coming out of the vents.

I went to tesco and got this anti mist stuff and that's keeping it at bay (tonight) first i wipe the windows with a wet clothe and then i wipe this anti msit stuff on.

seems to work ok but i still got this crap out of the vents. I'm so cold in the car because i have no heat so i need this sorted asap! :badmood:
Audi TT

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Tina turner's special

Post by volvofox » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:28 am

(not so serious, not intended offence mode)

DRAGON. stop singing as you enter your car. the flames out of your mouth heat up the car so fast, the windows mist up....

(serious mode)
holmes : do something. remove the duckts and plastic shields around the heater. the coolant evaporates as the watervapour enters your car, leaving the resins to stink. only some drops must be enough to make this amount of vapour.

dragon has no airco that speeds up the building of watervapour, but its very like wise, sinse the watervapour comes from the duckts too and the car smells, it is the same problem

but thinking of water only is now out a bit in doubt, isn't just something melting away there near the heater, dragon ? (since you describe the smell so well)

luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:45 pm

holmes : do something. remove the duckts and plastic shields around the heater
Remove them ?
Audi TT