Late Bumper Stripes?

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Late Bumper Stripes?

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:13 pm

This is a question many will find pedantic but it's quite important to me.

I thought I was comfortable in my knowledge that early cars had red bumper stripes and later cars had satin black bumper stripes.

This is supported in press photos which you can only assume to be standard...

Zapcity's green GT has satin black stripes and that's a nice original car...

My question is, do the black cars have a black stripes!?!

Unfortunately all the brochure images are just too dark to tell...

I was of the opinion they do, and was going to pay a graphics/car wrap firm to apply.

They will want a three-figure fee so I want to do the right thing for a) originality and b) my wallet!

However, I have just bumped into these photos of the metallic black 480 in the Volvo museum...

Clear to be seen it doesn't have a stripe :eek:

The museum 480 must of been plucked from the line so you would expect it to be the most original possible.

The internet in general makes it very tricky to tell because many bumpers get painted over the years and lose their stripes.

Would appreciate any input. If you have an original late car in any of the blacks (305, 319, 323) does it have the factory satin black stripes?

Thanks as always,

Jay.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

Baxter
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Late Bumper Stripes?

Post by Baxter » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:23 pm

Sorry for the off topic, I don't have info about the stripes but on your picture I see something new to me. Is it a protection for the bumper or just a reflection from the camera?

Hector.

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:54 pm

Yep, they’re standard. They are anti-vibration pads to stop the nose cone chafing the bumper. I think there should be some more by the indicators.

They fall off in time, or the bumper gets painted and they never get restored.

I have used some gel blobs for kitchen cupboard doors. The little self adhesive “domes” to stop cupboard doors slamming.
Jay-Kay-Em
Click here for My Cars

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:14 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:54 pm
Yep, they’re standard. They are anti-vibration pads to stop the nose cone chafing the bumper. I think there should be some more by the indicators.

I have used some gel blobs for kitchen cupboard doors. The little self adhesive “domes” to stop cupboard doors slamming.
I like that style, 'anything goes' , not your usual 'exact factory fit / replacement' :hopping:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:16 pm

As far as I know, once the red stripe was discontinued the black cars had no stripe. Presumably satin black on metallic black was not a desirable look?

323 is storm grey metallic, not actually black. As the previous owner of Pudsey/Pud/R2, though, I do know that she has no satin black stripe either. I first noticed it wasn't on the bumpers and wondered if it had somehow been "lost", so I checked the sides and there were none there either...

Hope that helps a little!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:02 pm

and if there is no gap between the nose cone and bumper it's virtually impossible to get the auxiliary lights out
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:56 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:16 pm
As far as I know, once the red stripe was discontinued the black cars had no stripe.
Thanks David; much appreciated.
Jay-Kay-Em
Click here for My Cars