Rear wheel arch liner compatible part

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

andyb2000
Started learning about 480

Rear wheel arch liner compatible part

Post by andyb2000 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:54 pm

Hi all,

After spending so long sorting the rear of my Volvo480 out, I've protected the wheel arches but I'm thinking of putting a plastic wheel arch liner in, but as I don't have the originals I'm wondering if anyone has located a similar plastic liner from another car that would fit?
Any recommendations before I start to measure and try to figure out what could potentially be an option. One that doesn't seem to fit is a 2010 Vauxhall Corsa rear arch liner as it has the shock in the middle and the arch liner has that indent/cut out (I have various Corsa spare parts kicking about).

Any ideas?
Thanks for all your help! - Andy
Volvo480 ES 2.0 petrol - 1994 (UK RHD L-reg)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Rear wheel arch liner compatible part

Post by jifflemon » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:29 pm

Are we talking about fronts or rears?

If its fronts your missing, I can send you a pair. Rears were never fitted but it'd be interesting if you could find something suitable.

andyb2000
Started learning about 480

Post by andyb2000 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:11 pm

Rear, ah I didn't realise they were never factory fit. In which case the quest for finding suitable similar fits will begin as I'd like to protect as much as possible.
Thanks for all your help! - Andy
Volvo480 ES 2.0 petrol - 1994 (UK RHD L-reg)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:24 pm

Most of the corrosion actually starts from the inside and works its way out.

Remember, Rust is formed by the reaction of iron and oxygen in the catalytic presence of water or air moisture.
Cavities can easily retain moisture and thus allow the formation of rust.

So, If the moisture can't sit on the surface, it can't start to rust. So, cover those surfaces with something soft and waxy and it can creep into all the crevices, driving moisture out, and stopping any future moisture sitting.

I'm a big fan of BiltHamber S50 - Use it on all the rescues!

Get it hot!

R3 for example:

Or My turbo:

Inside doors...

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:30 pm

andyb2000 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:54 pm
Hi all,

After spending so long sorting the rear of my Volvo480 out, I've protected the wheel arches but I'm thinking of putting a plastic wheel arch liner in, but as I don't have the originals I'm wondering if anyone has located a similar plastic liner from another car that would fit?
Any recommendations before I start to measure and try to figure out what could potentially be an option. One that doesn't seem to fit is a 2010 Vauxhall Corsa rear arch liner as it has the shock in the middle and the arch liner has that indent/cut out (I have various Corsa spare parts kicking about).

Any ideas?
i did toy with modifying a front to fit the rear, never really got very far . . . . .
TBH the rust will probably already have attacked the lower front edge and rear so maybe 'shutting the stable door', but having said that if it can stop the grit from the road sand-blasting away the new metal?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1