Recommended badge glue?

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Recommended badge glue?

Post by WillC9303 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:37 pm

Hi all,

I think it's time I finally fit the Limited Edition badge I got months ago, as well as refit the ES badge that seems to be separating from the tailgate glass.
Does anyone know of any adhesive that I can use? I don't want it to be too strong, as I'd like to have the option to remove the badges without destroying them at a later date. And not too weak for...well...obvious reasons.

Thanks in advance.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Recommended badge glue?

Post by jifflemon » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:42 pm

3m VHB tape, nothing else

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:56 pm

I second Jeff's recommendation, but I struggle to get exactly what I want from a trusted supplier.

I think the vast majority of VHB on eBay is fake. Even with Amazon it's all third party sellers.

I purchased what I thought was 3M branded VHB and one hot summers day, I found my front number plate lying on the floor.

I am doing a lot of double sided tape work right now; I have just completed the bonnet to wing top seal strips. Right or wrong, I have used Normfest 6mm (NOR499106) from Euro Car Parts here.

Time will tell on longevity, but I get more consolation from it being supplied by a trusted source rather than the eBay/Amazon lottery which I despise.

It is also the perfect thickness too. You don't want it too thick and your badge looking too proud. You just got to be a dab hand with a modelling knife to cut all the pieces!
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:27 am

I was looking for some recently for other people's badges I'm fixing!

This is of course the super skinny but probably genuine.

https://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/collectio ... 6448973887

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:20 pm

Sort of on topic, I would be careful with what tapes you use as some can be very underwhelming. For a badge you would want something very thin, some of these tapes are almost a mastic level of thickness, so if you can find a place to handle them before buying, that would be very beneficial.

While it isn't a badge as such, I have had a right old saga keeping the side trims on my 80 Sport in place. I first used Halfrauds own, which was great until it rained the next day. Then I used 3M double sided, which is much better, but the warping in the plastic is stronger than the grip from the tape, so the drivers door strip kinks out rather embarrassingly, it is much worse now that in the picture, so I am still on the lookout for something "heavy duty"

Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild