Recommissioning a 480: 7. Bonnet foam

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

davekit
Started learning about 480

Recommissioning a 480: 7. Bonnet foam

Post by davekit » Tue May 17, 2022 4:51 pm

Part 1 is under ‘Secret Life’.

Another common problem, is the sound-deadening foam under the bonnet turning to dust. I put an old sheet across the engine, and scraped off the remaining foam, leaving the metal layer in place, and reattached the earth wires. This is needed to reduce radio interference, as it is a plastic bonnet. I cut cardboard templates based on the metal layer, and wiped the metal with white spirit. Replacement foam, 25mm thick, was bought from eFoam.co.uk and is called Pyrosorb-S Class 0 Acoustic Foam. It is self-adhesive, but for good measure I put some contact adhesive round the edge of each metal layer. I have covered a few hundred miles now and it has stayed in place. I should say that the company was suggested elsewhere on the forum, but it did not sound like it had been used at the time.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Recommissioning a 480: 7. Bonnet foam

Post by Alan 480 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:01 pm

davekit wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:51 pm
Part 1 is under ‘Secret Life’.

Another common problem,
This is needed to reduce radio interference, as it is a plastic bonnet. I cut cardboard templates based on the metal layer, and wiped the metal with white spirit.

Replacement foam, 25mm thick,
I've removed the whole lot, no problems with interference to radio. and on the SS1 (all GRP / plastic) there is diddly screening and no problems, the radio on it works when aerial is 'stowed', which is a bummer as I spent ages fitting a new one prior to getting it from wreak to runner.

sound deading 2.5mm or twenty five mm?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

davekit
Started learning about 480

Re: Recommissioning a 480: 7. Bonnet foam

Post by davekit » Thu May 19, 2022 9:49 am

Foam is definitely 25mm thick, i.e. one inch near enough. It is available in other thicknesses, but what remained of the original foam on the bonnet was 25mm so I stuck with that.