Gear knob and driver's seat not folding

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Xedra
480 Newbie

Gear knob and driver's seat not folding

Post by Xedra » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:18 pm

Just a couple of queries about my 480.

The gear knob is missing so I was wondering if anyone can reccomend a suitable replacement that will fit? (I'll be buying in the EU). I'm unfamilair with gear knobs and whether they have standardised fittings as I've never had to replace one before.

Also, the driver's seat does not fold forward to allow access to the rear. The lever does not work, it's not jammed, but rather the opposite, feels too loose. Anyone know a fix for this? Front passenger seat works fine.

Thank you for any and all help!
1989 480 ES

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Gear knob and driver's seat not folding

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:50 pm

Xedra wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:18 pm
Just a couple of queries about my 480.

The gear knob is missing so I was wondering if anyone can reccomend a suitable replacement that will fit? (I'll be buying in the EU). I'm unfamilair with gear knobs and whether they have standardised fittings as I've never had to replace one before.

Also, the driver's seat does not fold forward to allow access to the rear. The lever does not work, it's not jammed, but rather the opposite, feels too loose. Anyone know a fix for this? Front passenger seat works fine.

Thank you for any and all help!
broken wire between the 'handle' and the release catch is probable cause.
fairly sure that there is a 'how to' by Jeff.

BEFORE you do anything with the seat repair ensure that the 'seat belt tensioners' (if fitted) are deactivated, the small arrow should point across the car.

I have an old gear lever top and from memory they are 'press-fit' , a VERY tight press fit, the HBOL suggets removal using a hammer :wink:
HBOL = Haynes Book of Lies :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

GCooper
Started learning about 480

Post by GCooper » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:10 am

Shame you don't have a GT :(
I have the same issue on the passenger seat and we could swap seats!

Edit: nevermind, mine is RHD so Volvo clearly didn't make the left seats very well
'94 Volvo 480 GT (project)
'98 BMW Z3 (daily)

malkontent
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by malkontent » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:01 am

Hi
Not only HBOL say : use a hammer , factory Green Books too :rofl: . Have a gear knob and seat wire .
best
Marek