celibration seat swap

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

celibration seat swap

Post by timrosser » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:23 pm

Hi All,

My drivers side leather seat is looking a bit tired, has anyone tried suing the leather panels from the rear or passeger seats to repair the drivers side? I think the side bolster may be different?

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: celibration seat swap

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:42 pm

We went down this route with our GT. You need the front passenger seat bolster, it's the right size and shape, just needs a few holes cut for the levers. The rear seats don't have long enough leather anywhere
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:17 am

I have tried seat & retrimming repairs myself and it's a nightmare. It never goes back together quite right - for me anyway. "Hog-rings" are the invention of Satan himself. When you see these factory tours of trim shops, and you see the staff at work, it's a miracle to behold.

Keep in mind that Celebration leather is arguably the most desirable trim option available. So, if you have a spare set, it has a notable second hand value before it is cannibalised.

I found a trimmer in Peterborough that replaced my Celebration driver's bolster with new... its a 90% match and I can't argue with that. Didn't break the bank either. One day, I might even be able to sit on it :(

Unless you are skilled in this area, you'd need to pay a trimmer to do the cannibalisation swap anyway - so it seems foolish to destroy a spare seat set. The spare set could be sold to fund the trimmer!

Good luck with the repair which ever method you choose.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:31 am

Depending on whereabouts you are, we used Surry Trimmers in Virginia Water, cheaper if you just give them the seat than take the car. They made a perfect job of ours for £250. They have hundreds of new skins hanging round the workshop and an enormous supply of used leather from previous jobs, so matching black or grey isn't a problem.
Not an option that was open to us, the GT seats are an unusual shade of green. We could have had some dyed but match wasn't guaranteed and it was ferociously expensive. Added to which the drivers bolster in our breaker GT was even worse than ours.
If you do want to try it yourself, other members on here have suggested using cable ties instead if hog rings.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:52 am

Thanks guys, to be honest my 480 is sorn now at the mo, so this is in the growing list of nice jobs after I sort out the essential ones! If anyone can recomend a trimmer in the north west that sounds like the way I might go.

Many thanks

Tim

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:40 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:17 am
"Hog-rings" are the invention of Satan himself.
They are indeed. There is a trick to them though. Use a two pair of pliers to open the ring up and wind it.

Then, and this the technical part.

Lob the bloody thing in the bin and use a small cable tie instead. :rofl:

Works every time