Torpedo! Panel! Repair

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Spainal
Started learning about 480

Torpedo! Panel! Repair

Post by Spainal » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:23 am

Hello everybody!
Undertook to repair the torpedo, since the plastic there is fragile, the torpedo was covered all over from the inside in cracks and the fasteners broke. Question: what plastic is the dashboard made of? I want to find the same plastic and weld. Tell me, I'm sitting right now in the garage and looking for data on the Internet, but there is none :(
Volvo 480 Turbo!
I was born and live in Siberia! :hopping:

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Re: Torpedo! Panel! Repair

Post by MisterH » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:48 am

I am quite confused by your use of the word torpedo, it might be an odd translation? is there a picture of what you are referring to?
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Spainal

Post by Spainal » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:30 pm

MisterH wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:48 am
I am quite confused by your use of the word torpedo, it might be an odd translation? is there a picture of what you are referring to?
a torpedo is what we call a panel where everything stands, a glove compartment, a tape recorder, a dashboard, and so on.
Volvo 480 Turbo!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:48 pm

Spainal wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:23 am
Hello everybody!
Undertook to repair the torpedo, since the plastic there is fragile, the torpedo was covered all over from the inside in cracks and the fasteners broke. Question: what plastic is the dashboard made of? I want to find the same plastic and weld. Tell me, I'm sitting right now in the garage and looking for data on the Internet, but there is none :(
no idea if ABS etc

Jeff did a 'how to' repair.
I fixed the corner of mine (top left side) probably top right on yours with some 'chopped strand glass fibre', also removed some of the vinyl to relieve the strain and seems much better.

you can get 'special' bumper repair resin, we call it Isopon P40, no idea what the same would be for you?

https://www.isopon.com/uk/en-uk/product ... repair-kit

I've used chopped strand to repair the different panels on the Reliant SS1, and they are made from a wide range of materials :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:28 pm

Oh I see, so the part is this one no?
https://picclick.co.uk/volvo-480-dash-132648220712.html
(this is not for sale, it is very old, but it gives an idea)
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Spainal

Post by Spainal » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:03 am

MisterH wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:28 pm
Oh I see, so the part is this one no?
https://picclick.co.uk/volvo-480-dash-132648220712.html
(this is not for sale, it is very old, but it gives an idea)
I have some cracked fasteners, I want to restore, you need to know what kind of plastic they are, I think I found out that the punk was made from abs plastic, tell me if I'm wrong?
Volvo 480 Turbo!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:34 pm

Ok so if I understand you correctly, you need to rebuild the holes for the screws? you can actually get away with just 1 or 2 in the right place. When it comes to making a new hole, first get a really strong epoxy resin/adhesive, and then use that to mould a new fixing for the screw. In the example below, I used it to get a new thread, and then I made the new thread with the same screw to fix the dash panel on:

See what I mean?

If you know what you want you can create a shape to drill into which will fix the dash in place. BE CAREFUL as if you bond the dash panel to the back panel with Epoxy you will NOT be able to get it back off
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71- ... L1271_.jpg
This is what I used
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Spainal

Post by Spainal » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:39 am

MisterH wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:34 pm
Ok so if I understand you correctly, you need to rebuild the holes for the screws? you can actually get away with just 1 or 2 in the right place. When it comes to making a new hole, first get a really strong epoxy resin/adhesive, and then use that to mould a new fixing for the screw. In the example below, I used it to get a new thread, and then I made the new thread with the same screw to fix the dash panel on:

See what I mean?

If you know what you want you can create a shape to drill into which will fix the dash in place. BE CAREFUL as if you bond the dash panel to the back panel with Epoxy you will NOT be able to get it back off
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71- ... L1271_.jpg
This is what I used
I understood you, well, this is a little different from what I wanted, my fasteners are not broken, but the panel is cracked in some places, and where the fuses are placed, it is generally burst, I am looking for a brand of plastic in order to solder the cracks and strengthen the torpedo so that it was not so fragile. I know about resin, I used it in some places, well, it is not correct to repair cracks.
Volvo 480 Turbo!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:36 am

Ok I understand you. Are you able to post a picture of the issue? I am trying to think about what might be good, if you are worried about the fuse box falling out that is a common problem which I fixed with a piece of wood, not very pretty but it works :D

With a picture I can give a more informed advice however
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

balto8
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by balto8 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:26 pm

Lots of ideas about that....

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... dtQXV1Skln

In plastic general stores you may find this plastic sheets of different thickness. May be cut and bent to the desired form and shape.... Then lots os epoxi....Go through the pictures
1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG