Bolts dimensions and parts

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

andyb2000
Started learning about 480

Bolts dimensions and parts

Post by andyb2000 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:27 am

I'm slowly working on my volvo480es and cutting lots of old damaged and stuck bolts. There are lots but I'm working my way through and having to grind most bolts off. I'm currently on the rear axle and now I've got them off need to identify replacement bolts and parts.
Now the problem!
I'm checking the volvo480partsbook which is good at listing the volvo part numbers, etc.
BUT no dimensions/information on the bolt and I cannot find the parts coming up.

For example, rear brakes, the bolt that holds the pad carrier on, listed as part number 3410735-9
I've searched and cannot find any tech data on that bolt so I can't identify a suitable replacement.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks!
Thanks for all your help! - Andy
Volvo480 ES 2.0 petrol - 1994 (UK RHD L-reg)

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: Bolts dimensions and parts

Post by arthuy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:03 pm

andyb2000
Started learning about 480

Post by andyb2000 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:04 pm

Thats some spot on information there arthuy.
Thank you for the pointer as I was searching and not getting much coming up. Also great find on the brake hose retaining clips.

I'm about to order up some copper pipe as I'm doing the same, drop tank and renew all brake lines. You said about 2x25ft of copper pipe to do the brake lines that about right? 3/16 Kunifer? anything special I need to watch before ordering?

I was also hoping for a record of bolts/nuts, etc, but I guess I'll have to use the same method, try to record the bits I've not totally ruined and hopefully spot the right bits!
Thanks for all your help! - Andy
Volvo480 ES 2.0 petrol - 1994 (UK RHD L-reg)

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:42 pm

No problem, I tend to post the boring bits on my thread as there is always someone else going to have the same problems. I cant remember how I found it in the end. Might even have bought a couple of similar caliper bolts.

I think I had to cut some down and extend the thread die.

one roll of pipe might do but I usually run out or just short.

With Kunifer it is a bit harder to form so can break the basic tools. I also got brass fittings for the pipes.

Most of the nuts and bolts are standard metric so you should be ok. Worth buying a cheap mixed set that way you have some for trying.

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:00 pm

Don't worry about ordering bolts; Volvo didn't use anything unique - its all universally available stuff. It's all metric too, so super simple.

Getting the dimensions out of a parts catalogue helps to create a shopping list, but arguably the best person to decide what bolt is necessary is the guy on the ground i.e. you; because you can measure what you need.

These are the questions you need to ask, building you a bolt spec:

What diameter thread?
Measure and decide... will be M8, M10, M12 etc. Numbers are millimetres tip to tip of the threads to create a thread diameter. They normally come in just under, so an M10 is about 9.8mm

What length?
A length of a bolt is not the total length - you never measure the head. Again, metric in mm to 5mm derivatives.

Threaded or part threaded
Technically this is the difference between a set screw and bolt. The whole bolt threaded, or a part-threaded shank? If part-threaded, think about your protrusion and how far the nut will travel. You don't want a nut to bottom out on the non-threaded shank.

Pitch
The 'courseness' of threads in .25 steps... typically 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 etc.

Strength
8.8 is 'normal'.
10.9 is for stronger suspension stuff.
12.9 is for super high torque stuff.

Buy bolts from a reputable source and make sure this strength reference is stamped on the top.

Finish
Zinc, stainless, dark metal... your choice really. Stainless tends to be more brittle for suspension work. Yellow passivate gives a nice OE look.

My last bolt purchase for my trailing arms were Zinc GEOMET coated... they are gorgeous... but I guess it's only me that gets excited by bolts :lol:

So consider your application, measure and you come up with something like M10x45x1.25 part threaded 10.9 Zinc Plated

With that, head to your chosen supplier. I use either Kays Fasteners or Bolt World. Both have online shops.

I like flange bolts and flange nuts because they have a nice seat flange. They torque down better in my opinion.

If a bolt passes through a metal sleeved bush, copper slip the bolt shank (not threads!) as it will be easier to remove in a few years.

Also, get yourself a metric thread file....

These are handy because not only do they tidy damaged/corroded bolt threads, but it's also an excellent thread pitch gauge for quickly checking what pitch bolts are.

A common mistake I see all the time is a lock nut used on a bolt that is not quite long enough - so the nyloc part of the nut doesn't actually have full thread interaction. Make sure the bolt fully protrudes through a nyloc!

Just like bolts, I would argue brake pipe is another safety critical item and I am just so sceptical of eBay. My last reel of 3/16ths was from Euro Car Parts. "SAVILLE" by name, EN12449 approved, seamless, burst tested and internal cleanliness verified.

Don't forget a dob of stud lock on caliper carrier bolts.

Oh, and I can't recommend a Gunsons Eezibleed enough; also less than £20 from ECP. You will never get the other half to pump a pedal again :lol:

Good luck!
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:49 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:00 pm
8.8 is 'normal'.
10.9 is for stronger suspension stuff.
12.9 is for super high torque stuff.

Buy bolts from a reputable source and make sure this strength reference is stamped on the top.

Finish
Zinc, stainless, dark metal... your choice really. Stainless tends to be more brittle for suspension work.
An excellent guide, my ONLY comment is not to use stainless on anything that is suffering 'vibration' so I'd never use on suspension.
(personal choice, had SS bolts snap when stressed, (TBF they were on a 15tonne roller wizzing along at 500+m/min :wink: )

a thread file is a darn handy item, I keep meaning to get one but a set of dies is handy for cleaning up the crap off old nuts/bolts, nowt expensive needed if just being used to 'chase' them

lots of grease of threads for next removal time....
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:01 pm

Yep, sorry Alan, my bad, should of worded that better - TOO brittle for suspension I should of said, not more brittle.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:27 pm

My last bolt purchase for my trailing arms were Zinc GEOMET coated... they are gorgeous... but I guess it's only me that gets excited by bolts
:lol: :lol: Love it !!

I can't think why, but when Al showed me this, I immediately thought of Jay-kay-em :rofl:

Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any