Rear right arch difficult to find

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

andyb2000
Started learning about 480

Rear right arch difficult to find

Post by andyb2000 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:42 pm

Hey folks,

So I'm onto welding replacements into my rear arches. Quite bad back there, mainly driver side though which is a problem! Most of the repair panels for the 480 (And 440 as I believe they can be used at a push) seem to be for left and not right!

Searching ebay, etc.
The expensive option is Skanix, but for an outer rear arch at 168 euro plus delivery that seems way over the odds, especially as I don't need the whole panel, just the rear part!

Anyone any other places to buy from before I end up having to pay the Skandix prices?

Thanks!
Thanks for all your help! - Andy
Volvo480 ES 2.0 petrol - 1994 (UK RHD L-reg)

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: Rear right arch difficult to find

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:05 pm

We've just bought Skandix ones, they are expensive but they do seems to be good quality. If you get one ebay one and one Skandix one, it would be interesting to know how the quality compares.
Some members have resorted to using front wings to make rear arches from.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:24 pm

andyb2000 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:42 pm
especially as I don't need the whole panel, just the rear part!

Anyone any other places to buy from before I end up having to pay the Skandix prices?

Thanks!
That front half of the arch looks quite crusty; have you given it a poke?

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:49 pm

if you can get front wings, it is the opposite side from the one you are welding.

They come up cheap now and again.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:44 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:24 pm
andyb2000 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:42 pm
especially as I don't need the whole panel, just the rear part!

Thanks!
That front half of the arch looks quite crusty; have you given it a poke?
maybe best to poke it now then find you need the repair fillets as well, saves on postage, (or not poke it and cry when you do, horrers within :-( ?

but they can be made up from 18SWG galv and some tin bashing :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

andyb2000
Started learning about 480

Post by andyb2000 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:38 pm

Thanks folks.

So answering the questions, yep have poked and prodded, the inner arch is actually pretty good other than the visible crusty bits, the rest is solid, so it's purely the front lower and rear parts of the arch that I need to repair. That front bit it really only the lip, the rest is good.

I think I'm going to get an arch, but am going to cheap out and try the 440 rear arch as I'm only really after the curves/bits and will weld the rest in so I think it's worth a shot at a fraction of the cost.
I can then use the lip all round and the rear part to make the section I need. Then I'll pre-fab the sill 'rectangle' that I need to patch you can see in lower right of photo.
Annoyingly all on ebay is LEFT rear, no right which is weird!

Hoping that's a plan. It's never going to be a showroom condition but so long as I can patch it and get it to MOT state I'll be a very happy person indeed.
If you want a closer look I've posted a youtube video on this bit and attacking it with a flappy wheel to get the surface off and see how many holes appear.

Again, comments appreciated. Should I be bothering keep popping into my head. The engine, gearbox, etc are all sound, it's kinda annoying the rear is rusted as an MOT failure as otherwise I reckon I could get this through an MOT with just new shocks, etc.
Video if you're interested https://youtu.be/LwklXO7t9pI
Thanks for all your help! - Andy
Volvo480 ES 2.0 petrol - 1994 (UK RHD L-reg)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:05 am

Commented on the tube as well, but:

Rear torque arm (that's their name) is a bolt in item, but will be seized on the inner sleeve. Had the same thing with Britney but on the hub end.

When welding in the new panel, go slowly and space your welds very far apart; You want to try and minimise heat distortion.