Front Wing started to rust - how worried should I be?

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Front Wing started to rust - how worried should I be?

Post by MisterH » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:54 pm

'Evening all

Today I noticed the rust spots on the front passenger wing have now become more pronounced than they were before. I am quite certain its just surface rust, but I wan to nip it in the bud before it gets really serious. I'll be putting some Kurust on it tomorrow before considering priming it, but what do you think of it? is it more serious than I think? Rear arches are fine

Many Thanks
Ben
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: Front Wing started to rust - how worried should I be?

Post by arthuy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:25 pm

Take the arch liner off and clean up the inside too.

It doesnt look bad but rust often comes through pin holes and edges where the paint wears away.

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:25 pm

I have waxed over the wing to hopefully stem it. The wear comes from when the previous owner stripped back the wrong colour that was on there previously, so I don't think the inside is compromised. When I changed the aerial there was a trace of waxy looking stuff there giving hope that it has been looked after in the past. I know the wax I put on this morning is a temporary solution, but the rest of the car does need a body shop trip. When washing the car I did make sure to do the inside of the arches.

If worst comes to worst I hear they can be replaced fairly easily?
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:24 pm

Is that bare metal? or primer?

Either way you need something over it! Primer absorbs moisture.

Bare metal it, treat the rust (I like Vactan) and get some paint over it - Even if it's the wrong colour!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:30 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:24 pm

Bare metal it, treat the rust (I like Vactan) and get some paint over it - Even if it's the wrong colour!
concur, i found that 'Hammerite' green gloop is better than 'kurust' as it takes it back to bare metal/holes rather than 'converting' it :wink:

once back to metal, spalsh primer and top coat , and aye ANY colour just to keep water out, although I doubt you will be doing anything this week-end what with storm 'inbound' if not already there?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:18 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:30 pm
jifflemon wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:24 pm

concur, i found that 'Hammerite' green gloop is better than 'kurust' as it takes it back to bare metal/holes rather than 'converting' it :wink:

once back to metal, spalsh primer and top coat , and aye ANY colour just to keep water out, although I doubt you will be doing anything this week-end what with storm 'inbound' if not already there?
Yeah currently, the wax is sealing it in, I put the wax on before the Kurust (duh!) and found that the Converter just bubbled over the top, without reaching the metal. If it can't reach the metal than neither can the salt...

...Hopefully :scared:
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:01 am

MisterH wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:18 pm

Yeah currently, the wax is sealing it in, I put the wax on before the Kurust (duh!) and found that the Converter just bubbled over the top, without reaching the metal. If it can't reach the metal than neither can the salt...

yes but you need to remove any debris from UNDER the waxoyl as otherwiese just eats away from within :(
Alan

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:58 am

Alan 480 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:01 am
MisterH wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:18 pm

yes but you need to remove any debris from UNDER the waxoyl as otherwiese just eats away from within :(
ah...
well it was applied after a wash, however with thunder and lightning outside my window I don't think now is a good time to start removing the arch liner :lol:

in all seriousness though, I will look closer into this, how easy is it to remove the liner? I will also take the opportunity to try and preserve the mudflaps

I am quite certain that it is surface rust from the outside though, But for how long will it be just that?
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:24 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:58 am
well it was applied after a wash, however with thunder and lightning outside my window I don't think now is a good time to start removing the arch liner :lol:

in all seriousness though, I will look closer into this, how easy is it to remove the liner? I will also take the opportunity to try and preserve the mudflaps

I am quite certain that it is surface rust from the outside though, But for how long will it be just that?
arch liner can be a five or fifty minute task

depends on the state of the self tappers . . .. .

most go into a plastic onsert EXCEPT the one at rear, nearest centre of the car which is into a spire clip

the one at front edge next to bupmer might be into fresh air ie the spire clip might be attached to a rusty bit of metal that started life fixed to inner wing?

I just used a small bolt and put a section of 16SWG galv on the front of it .. . . .

the two on outer edge at rear , might be into spire clips or platsic, I seem to have a mixture :wink:

and if horizontal rain, best left (NB it is dry and sunny in ABZ) :hopping:
Alan