Does anyone know how to repair cracked rear light lenses?

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Does anyone know how to repair cracked rear light lenses?

Post by MisterH » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:48 pm

I don't want to be that guy who asks for replacement rear lights, so I'll have a crack at repairing one first. on my car, the passenger side rear light is fine, not perfect, but nothing a waxing session can't handle, but the drivers side, while still clear, has a massive crack in it:

can this be fixed? it would be a shame to fork out loads for a decent replacement when the light itself is pretty good perishing-wise
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Does anyone know how to repair cracked rear light lenses?

Post by jifflemon » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:31 pm

You know about this?

Polishing the lense may be enough - depends how deep the crack is though. Captain Tolleys "Creeping crack cure" has been suggested previously too...

New lenses (once they're in production) will be the best solution

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:03 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:48 pm
I don't want to be that guy who asks for replacement rear lights, so I'll have a crack at repairing one first. on my car, the passenger side rear light is fine, not perfect, but nothing a waxing session can't handle, but the drivers side, while still clear, has a massive crack in it:

can this be fixed? it would be a shame to fork out loads for a decent replacement when the light itself is pretty good perishing-wise
is this a horizontal crack either side of reflective section? looks bowed OUT across the middle?

if yes you could try a very gentle tickle with a dremmel tool then apply some 'araldite' or similar two pack epoxy, but not this week as it needs to be nice an warm to get a 'good cure' unless you can arrange to have the back end kept 'toasty' for a few hours. once it has fully cured you can carefully use a scalpel to reduce to the original level, then polish as you see fit

all depends of course how 'original' you want it to be, or just to keep water out/light intact and save a 'small'? fortune on second hand light clusters cos removal of the cluster WILL break it:-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:31 pm
You know about this?

Polishing the lense may be enough - depends how deep the crack is though. Captain Tolleys "Creeping crack cure" has been suggested previously

New lenses (once they're in production) will be the best solution
Alan 480 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:03 pm
[quote=MisterH post_id=219291 time=<a href="tel:1579456099">1579456099</a> user_id=21363]

[\quote]

is this a horizontal crack either side of reflective section? looks bowed OUT across the middle?

if yes you could try a very gentle tickle with a dremmel tool then apply some 'araldite' or similar two pack epoxy, but not this week as it needs to be nice an warm to get a 'good cure' unless you can arrange to have the back end kept 'toasty' for a few hours. once it has fully cured you can carefully use a scalpel to reduce to the original level, then polish as you see fit

all depends of course how 'original' you want it to be, or just to keep water out/light intact and save a 'small'? fortune on second hand light clusters cos removal of the cluster WILL break it:-)

Yes, it is a deep crack that allows water in, that has curved out, I would rather repair it and keep the originality than get a new one, are there any estimations of the price?
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:43 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 pm
Yes, it is a deep crack that allows water in, that has curved out, I would rather repair it and keep the originality than get a new one, are there any estimations of the price?
repair price or 'second hand / half decent unit'

repair is cost of araldite, but strange the root cause of the bow would need to be fixed first???
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:55 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:43 pm
MisterH wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 pm
repair price or 'second hand / half decent unit'

repair is cost of araldite, but strange the root cause of the bow would need to be fixed first???
I'll get a close up picture when I can, but it has split and is curving out, just worried that it I try and compress it it'll go more
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:29 pm

Might be worthwhile just clear taping it for now until Sylvia’s European connection produce the new lenses.