Footwell carpets damp

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

andyb2000
Started learning about 480

Footwell carpets damp

Post by andyb2000 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Just noticed after going to my car to check the rear boot seal, which I'm pleased to say isn't leaking, found that the interior carpets are damp.
Driver side, feeling all over the carpet is damp, not soaking (We've had quite a bit of rain) so suggests seeping water getting in.

Before I start pulling apart all of the carpets and seals is there a common place to start on this one to check, my instinct is the door/window seal seeping down and around, or a drain being blocked?

Thanks in advance for pointers before I start pulling things apart!
Thanks for all your help! - Andy
Volvo480 ES 2.0 petrol - 1994 (UK RHD L-reg)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Footwell carpets damp

Post by jifflemon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Honest advice?

Pull the interior out. Firstly it'll give you a chance to thoroughly dry the interior, but it makes it SO much easier to trace a leak.

Front carpets can still be a boot leak! Water can run through from the back and end up in the front wells.

andyb2000
Started learning about 480

Post by andyb2000 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Cheers for the reply, yeah, I did wonder that.

I've got the whole rear out anyway (Boot, rear seats, rear centre console, etc) so that's not a problem so I'm certain it's not running down from the rear.

So I think I'll pull back the carpet from the front (I've got the panels already removed there too) and see where I get to.
Thanks for all your help! - Andy
Volvo480 ES 2.0 petrol - 1994 (UK RHD L-reg)

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Further tips:‎

For front footwells being wet with rain, I'd suggest checking that the two drain tubes in the front scuttle (where the wipers, fan and triangular fusebox/relay box live). These tubes get really full of gunk and leaves over the years and can get completely blocked.‎ Squeeze them a little, pull them out, clean them and reinstall-- it will take you 10 minutes. 

If it is wet with coolant, that's a different matter, and is likely to be the heater matrix in the centre console, in front of the two storage boxes & ashtray.‎
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:30 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:54 pm
Further tips:‎

For front footwells being wet with rain, I'd suggest checking that the two drain tubes in the front scuttle (where the wipers, fan and triangular fusebox/relay box live). These tubes get really full of gunk and leaves over the years and can get completely blocked.‎ Squeeze them a little, pull them out, clean them and reinstall-- it will take you 10 minutes. 

If it is wet with coolant, that's a different matter, and is likely to be the heater matrix in the centre console, in front of the two storage boxes & ashtray.‎
second both of these as been there with both, for front scuttle seals I just removed the small flaps with a knife to prevent future issues.

you can always taste the liquid, I'm not suggest you drink it!!! but dab a finger on it and if it's sweet then it's proabbly NOT rain water :wink:

not killed me (so far) and had numerous leaks from various car heaters/radiators etc over the years :hopping:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1