rust 'behind rear boot pockets'

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

rust 'behind rear boot pockets'

Post by timrosser » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi All,

Ive discovered some ugly rust in that little pit, about an inch behind where the back of the rear boot pockets live (or down from the electric areal except my rust is the drivers side) I had this sides arch welded a few years ago and I think rust, nature & volvo have conspired to make its own out of a rusty pit. Any views on how serious this might be?

Best

Tim

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: rust 'behind rear boot pockets'

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:54 pm

possibly very . . . .. . . .

the flat section level with the floor or the bit at base of aerial recess where the side vents are.

either way get rid of the foam blocks as they have already caused most of the damage :(

can you guess how I know ? :wink:

it can be fixed with a generous helping of chopped strand , I use Isopon P40 :-)

obviously other repair methods (and chopped strand) are possible but as it really 'not structural' not worth breaking out the MiG for???
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:57 pm

I'm guessing this area?

Have you removed the sponges from underneath?

See the drain hole? Is it blocked?

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:53 pm

Yes that is the festering pit, I'm pretty sure I took the sponge out a few years ago, not sure my camera is as good as yours but it feels like my previous bit of welding has put a small lair over the bad metal underneath, there should be a little drain hole here I think?

The chopped strand sounds very interesting, obviously just about everything needs hacking out but then the fiberglass would form a new 'floor to the little pocket? Are there any good youtube type guides for the apprentice fibreglasser?

Thanks for this

Tim

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:39 am

just google isopon P40 :wink:

I've had lots of practice as run cars with GRP / plastic body-work
Alan

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:54 pm
obviously other repair methods (and chopped strand) are possible but as it really 'not structural' not worth breaking out the MiG for???
Technically, it's within 30cm of a suspension mounting point.... Hopefully the MOT tester doesn't spot it! :D

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:18 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 pm
Alan 480 wrote:
Technically, it's within 30cm of a suspension mounting point.... Hopefully the MOT tester doesn't spot it! :D
fair point, but would a GRP repaired hole in the front wing also cause a fail :wink: most of front arch will be 30cm from top of strut!!!

I (wrongly?) look on 'body-work' as being distinct from 'chassis' . . . . . .
Alan

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:51 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:18 pm
jifflemon wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 pm
Alan 480 wrote:
fair point, but would a GRP repaired hole in the front wing also cause a fail :wink: most of front arch will be 30cm from top of strut!!!

I (wrongly?) look on 'body-work' as being distinct from 'chassis' . . . . . .
Front wing is a bolt on panel... rear pocket isn't. Therefore the pocket section is classed as "structural" :eek:

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:13 am

Well, I'm of for a trip to a welders today, I was planning to have some work on the rear arch & back bumper anyhow! But if I go with Alan's fiberglass solution it would be an eagle eyed mot guy who saw my plastic filler its ocean of waxoil ;-)

Re the drain, there should be one in the middle of the little pocket to help spread rust toward the rear bumper? Also that weird vent thing on the side of the car- looks like a mini cassette holder from the 80'swith little rubber flapps- is that just to circulate air, and if so where too?

Thanks for the tips guys

Tim

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:47 am

timrosser wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:13 am
Well, I'm of for a trip to a welders today, I was planning to have some work on the rear arch & back bumper anyhow! But if I go with Alan's fiberglass solution it would be an eagle eyed mot guy who saw my plastic filler its ocean of waxoil ;-)

Re the drain, there should be one in the middle of the little pocket to help spread rust toward the rear bumper? Also that weird vent thing on the side of the car- looks like a mini cassette holder from the 80'swith little rubber flapps- is that just to circulate air, and if so where too?

Thanks for the tips guys

Tim
yes the thought was repair not really in 'line of sight' and although strictly it is welded section (but so too are the rear wings/arches , I knew I should not have said front . . .. ..)

can't rememeber if there was originally a drain (but I'm sure I added one)

flap goes to area within bumper to let air out (it comes in so needs to leave) the low pressure should assist with flow-through, half the flaps have fallen off ours.
Alan

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:08 pm

See the second pic?

That's taken from the O/S, looking through the "flap". You can see the drain hole at the front.

If the foam has been removed from underneath, you've removed one problem. I discovered one of the holes was blocked with dirt from the foam, thus not draining water out.

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Great, that's super helpful, most my vents rubber bits are still in tact, although they are kind of sticky with the various anti rust treatments. I'm booked in with my local welder in 3 weeks, he dosnt think its too big a job if he takes of the rear bumper & re-welds the arch at the same time- luckily I have a skanix rear panel with is due to go on anyway!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Tim