alternatives to standard issue 'wing gutters'

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

alternatives to standard issue 'wing gutters'

Post by timrosser » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Has anyone else had the problem of re-spraying their front wings and then being unable to re-attach the odd "L" shape gutters that run along the underside of the bonnet from the front pillars to just above the front lights? Mine are a bit chewed up by the spay shop and after soaking them in rubber restorer they seem to be glue-proof (even after much de-greasing) - any 480 life hacks appreciated!

Tim

balto8
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: alternatives to standard issue 'wing gutters'

Post by balto8 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:09 pm

Sandpaper the area then clean up?
1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Its a fair shout, my old gutters were pretty brutally removed from my old wings, it looks like they are a compound of the "L" shape rubber, a thin rubber strip then the expanded rubber foam used to stick it in place. Mine are pretty de-gresed but I dont think I'll get a good grip as the gutters are partially damaged on the underside. But as you say, worth another try :-)

All the best

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:08 pm

I've had a look through several of the online trim suppliers and can't fin anything that stands out as an obvious replacement.

Will do some more once I've had a proper look at mine (because I think mine aren't exactly tip-top condition

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:07 pm

I've had a good old dig online and I'm honestly not sure, most "L" profiles are way too big and our gutters are nearer a 50' angle than an 90'- keep me posted if you find anything :-)

T