Front seats

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Front seats

Post by frenchfries » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi all

The rear leather seats and door cards (front and rear) are now in place. What a difference.

1) I tried to remove the dashboard cards but they seem very very hard to remove and judging by the replacement ones they are held in place by several severe looking (nails?). Should I persevere or happily leave them there?

2) I don't have the proper tools to remove the railings for the front seats. Is it possible to leave them s as they are and slide the seats out?

Thanks in advance

Moi
1993 Turbo auto called Skip for the important stuff
2011 Juke 190 for everything else

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: Front seats

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:44 pm

The dashboard cards are difficult to remove. Al did ours with a large screwdriver with a cloth wrapped around it, then a bit of brute force to lever them out.

The seat rails are tricky, there is a bolt on each that goes right through the floor so the nut is under the car, covered in rust and gunk plus locktite. It's easier to remove the seat from the rails but you need 10 hands to get the replacements back on. Expect some blue air.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:15 pm

You need a torx 50 for the front seat; can post you mine if you need? I’ve one for a 3/8 ratchet and a normal screwdriver type one.
It’ll give you a few days to start soaking them in WD40 and building up your muscles, because boy oh boy are they tight!
Access is bloody awful too!

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:50 am

jifflemon wrote:You need a torx 50 for the front seat; can post you mine if you need? I’ve one for a 3/8 ratchet and a normal screwdriver type one.
It’ll give you a few days to start soaking them in WD40 and building up your muscles, because boy oh boy are they tight!
Access is bloody awful too!
Thank you for the offer, I think I know where I can borrow a torx but WD-40 sure is a good idea. Not looking forward to doing that 8 times, joined the gym this morning just in case :)

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:34 am

if you have the seat belt 'pre-tensioners' of the mechanical variety, you MUST disable them before you start!!

there is a wee red button that you need to turn (across the way?) to disable them
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:22 pm

Alan 480 wrote:if you have the seat belt 'pre-tensioners' of the mechanical variety, you MUST disable them before you start!!

there is a wee red button that you need to turn (across the way?) to disable them
Yep, there is a fair amount of explosives(?) under my seat and was going to wonder about that. I will look for the red button. Not as exciting as "cut the red wire" but safer :boom:

nicklee
480 Newbie

Post by nicklee » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:13 pm

god this is one hell of a job. it took forever to get mine out and you've gotta be so careful not to destroy the torx bolts.

it's an idea beforehand to clean up the bolts from underneath with a soft wire brush and plenty of whichever spray lubricant you're using (i think i had some silicone stuff) and to do so intermittently as you go. I had to go back and forth with my bolts, soaking, loosening and tightening and cleaning over several days to get em out.

but i reckon mine were particularly bad ;)

good luck - it's worth it in the end tho!
1992 Paris Blue 480 ES

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:00 pm

um, just wondering if you know that the leather interiors had a different carpet ? As I found, the carpet on the back of the rear seats doesn't match the standard boot carpet. While you've got the front seats out
it's not too difficult to change the carpet if you can get hold of it - there is a 'how to' thread on getting the central consol etc out. While you have the carpet out is a good time to deal with any rust on the floor as well. The job just keeps getting bigger.....
Sylvia

hubby has

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:07 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:um, just wondering if you know that the leather interiors had a different carpet ? As I found, the carpet on the back of the rear seats doesn't match the standard boot carpet. While you've got the front seats out
it's not too difficult to change the carpet if you can get hold of it - there is a 'how to' thread on getting the central consol etc out. While you have the carpet out is a good time to deal with any rust on the floor as well. The job just keeps getting bigger.....
It is ever so slightly reddish on the back of the rear seats but I seldom drive from the boot. The leather is 2 tone leather so the grey bit does indeed match the carpet and I did give the underneath a good clean. No rust to be found here :D

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:52 am

frenchfries wrote:
Alan 480 wrote:if you have the seat belt 'pre-tensioners' of the mechanical variety, you MUST disable them before you start!!

Yep, there is a fair amount of explosives(?) under my seat and was going to wonder about that. I will look for the red button. Not as exciting as "cut the red wire" but safer :boom:
no explosives ? ? ? ?
on mine it is stonking big spring (tucked in along side the seat rail), trust me they are re-settable, but only just and your bottom will be twitching as you get it near the reset point!!! :wink:
Alan

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
frenchfries wrote:

no explosives ? ? ? ?
on mine it is stonking big spring (tucked in along side the seat rail), trust me they are re-settable, but only just and your bottom will be twitching as you get it near the reset point!!! :wink:
Found the red buttons, press down then indeed turn across. Why did I need to do that again?

Rachel
480 Is my middle name

Post by Rachel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
frenchfries wrote:

no explosives ? ? ? ?
Excuse me for butting in here Frenchfries, but @ Alan are the pretensioners resettable?? My 480 has always had a fired passenger side pretensioner and I'd like to reset it if possible.
'95 Storm Grey 323 Manual Turbo, Richmod
----------------------------------------------------------
'95 Flame Red Celeb, Nos.191, 2 litre, LPG, used to be Adams ;) SOLD
'95 Vase Green Turbo~ Vanessa~ 'Serendipity' manual, Richmod. RIP
'90 Light Blue 480 Turbo auto....RIP
'68 VW Type 3 1.6 auto Lotus White,Swedish import. SOLD
Audi 80 coupe Gold...pimp my ride! RIP
'76 Bug, Ocean Blue, lowered, Empi wheels.RIP
'72 Bay window VW Camper 1600 twinport. Sold

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:41 am

@French Fries

the red button when turned ACROSS the car locks the trigger mechanism , kind of like a 'safety-catch' on a rifle

Rachel

if they are mechanical then you can pull the springs back to the correct location, but ruddy big spring and you need to get teh wee trigger re-set into correct orientation whilst you keep the tension in place.

this is from memory and done about 15 years ago

IT IS A NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED AND CAN BE DANGEROUS

so you are on your own here :wink:

remove the whole seat belt buckle assembly from the car (unplug the 'seat belt on' switch wire)
securely fix teh seat buckle assembly in a LARGE vice
I used a piece of 8mm (or 10mm?) threaded rod and a section of 4mm high tension fencing wire made into a 'loop affair'

then slowly pull the tensioner back
keep fingers well out of way and put the wee trapezoidal wedges in place
reset the red trigger back to across the way

re-install
I don't have any photos, all from hazy minding on . . . . :D
Last edited by Alan 480 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Rachel
480 Is my middle name

Post by Rachel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:53 am

Many thanks Alan, I think I'll give that one a miss :shock:
'95 Storm Grey 323 Manual Turbo, Richmod
----------------------------------------------------------
'95 Flame Red Celeb, Nos.191, 2 litre, LPG, used to be Adams ;) SOLD
'95 Vase Green Turbo~ Vanessa~ 'Serendipity' manual, Richmod. RIP
'90 Light Blue 480 Turbo auto....RIP
'68 VW Type 3 1.6 auto Lotus White,Swedish import. SOLD
Audi 80 coupe Gold...pimp my ride! RIP
'76 Bug, Ocean Blue, lowered, Empi wheels.RIP
'72 Bay window VW Camper 1600 twinport. Sold

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:08 pm

Alan 480 wrote:@French Fries

the red button when turned ACROSS the car locks the trigger mechanism , kind of like a 'safety-catch' on a rifle

Rachel

if they are mechanical then you can pull the springs back to the correct location, but ruddy big spring and you need to get teh wee trigger re-set into correct orientation whilst you keep the tension in place.

this is from memory and done about 15 years ago

IT IS A NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED AND CAN BE DANGEROUS

so you are on your own here :wink:

remove the whole seat belt buckle assembly from the car (unplug the 'seat belt on' switch wire)

securely fix teh seat buckle assembly in a LARGE vice
I used a piece of 8mm threaded rod and a section of 4mm high tension fencing wire made into a 'loop affair'

then slowly pull the tensioner back
keep fingers well out of way and put the wee trapezoidal wedges in place
reset the red trigger back to across the way

re-install
I don't have any photos, all from hazy minding on . . . . :D
I think I will switch the Pre-tension belt system with my old one OR keep the little red button firmly "OFF".

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Passenger seat in. In a week or so I will have retrieved enough energy to attack the other 4 torxs :nuts:

Will also give me time to rejuvenate the leather :)

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:07 am

Hi all

I welcome any suggestions on rejuvenating the seat :)

I have looked a bit everywhere at cleaners and colours but not sure where to start. Professionally done I have been quoted between £160-£185 but since I am not gonna use Skip all the time I am looking at cheaper alternatives.

Thanks in advance

Moi

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:38 am

I use shoe polish on ours, I find it better than something like Gliptones conditioner for covering the scuffs where the surface has gone. Not to be done within a week of using the car unless you remember to sit everyone on an old towel or similar to keep the polish off their clothes. :lol:
Gliptones is great for softening the leather and keeping it in good condition, but it doesn't restore the colour.
Sylvia

hubby has

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:59 am

dragonflyjewels wrote:I use shoe polish on ours, I find it better than something like Gliptones conditioner for covering the scuffs where the surface has gone. Not to be done within a week of using the car unless you remember to sit everyone on an old towel or similar to keep the polish off their clothes. :lol:
Gliptones is great for softening the leather and keeping it in good condition, but it doesn't restore the colour.
ditto,

use 'neutral' first to get a decent seal on the leather, then try grey and some black to build colour to correct shade of grey/black, I just rub the polish in with tip of finger on a cloth.
Alan

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:02 pm

frenchfries wrote:
I think I will switch the Pre-tension belt system with my old one OR keep the little red button firmly "OFF".

when you move the seats or the pre-tensioner I'd switch off BUT
I'd always make sure the pre-tensioner is 'armed' when the seats are in the car. they are a safety feature
Alan