Heated seats wiring

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

balto8
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Heated seats wiring

Post by balto8 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:24 am

Almost ready to put my new leather interior in the car

The new seats are heated and I have the heated seat button panel ready but I need to know the order of the cables from the buttons to the connectors on the back of the center console. I have there two connectors. A red one and a white one. What's the name of this tipe of connectors? just to do the search.

Last edited by balto8 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG

balto8

Re: Heated seats wiring

Post by balto8 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:25 am

Here’s the looks after throrough clean, dye and wax.

1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:47 am

lol

First time you hit the brakes you will slide like a fart on vinyl :wink:
1993 Turbo auto called Skip for the important stuff
2011 Juke 190 for everything else

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:49 pm

They look great - even if they are slippery (which is why I prefer half leather)
Did you do them yourself ? If so I'd be interested to know what products you used.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

balto8

Post by balto8 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Those pictures of the seats were taken like 45 mintes after aplying the wax, once I had all the plastics, knobs and levers back in place around the side of the seats. The day after part of the shine was gone, thank God, and the leather looks close to new. I will try and post pictures of the final result.

Use washing gloves through all the restoring process. You'll need to rinse and wring out clothes countless times. Start by removing headrest and all knobs, levers and plastics around the seat. You don't want to dye them.

For cleaning I used this: http://car-chem.com/store/interior/leat ... re-cleaner with a non too hard bristle brush. Then you have to remove all the product with damp clothes (you will need a lot of clothes or have a tap nearby).

The day after comes dyeing. Some videos I watched recommend giving the roughest parts of the seat some sandpapering before start, then clean again. I skipped this step.

Most of the dyes sold by "leather care" websites come in 150-250ml bottles for 20-25 euros the bottle. I found very good quality dye at a shoe store suppliers. 14 euro for a 500ml bottle. Trying to dye a half-leather seat or two tone leather seats it will require serious isolation of the fabric / different tone part, this thing stains a lot.

Apply the dye with a soft small sponge all around. I worked pouring some dye on the sponge and It was quite a mess. Lucky i was on my underpants through the process. Do not wear any clothes that you value. I later thought it would have been better done by pouring some dye into a small tupperware, then gently soak the sponge there.

Now let the thing dry for another day or two.

Finally I applied this coating wax: https://www.amazon.co.uk/COLOURLOCK-Ele ... B00J7XSNZU
With some microfiber regular cloth.

Now let the wax penetrate for another day.

Once you're done with the waxing start putting the plastics and knobs back in.
1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG

balto8

Post by balto8 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:12 pm

Now to the heated seats connectors. For all the electricians , machanics and ingeneers aroung the fórum this must look like a monguer-level job. Yes, that’s the level.
So I have theese two connectors on the back of the central console and a button pad with the heated seats buttons that came to me without it’s rear wiring. I need to connect the 3 small flat pin son the back of the button to the righ cable in the connector.
A friend sent me some pics of his 1987 ES wiring. He has 3 wires coming out of the connector: Brown / white-green / grey-green. I have the same layout but I have two grey-green cables coming out of one pin socket.
This is one of his connectors:
Theese connectors are know as Mate N Lok 3 way 3.5
Here’s mine:
1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG

balto8

Post by balto8 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Both connectors :
Cables coming at the buttons flat pins

The other connector should look like this but I can't find it. Would someone confirm me the specific name of this type of connectors

1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:35 am

dragonflyjewels wrote:They look great - even if they are slippery (which is why I prefer half leather)

Did you do them yourself ? If so I'd be interested to know what products you used.
I'm a huge fan of Liquid Leather. Have used it for many years, on all my cars. Not a fan of "2 in 1 products" - how can something that cleans, also moisturise? It's like a wash'n'wax shampoo! It won't work!

Leather is basically dead skin and can be likened to your own living skin, whereby dirt and sunlight are its enemies. Simply wiping over your leather seating with a damp cloth (not a wet one) every time you wash your car will help it. Sadly, most of use have inherited problem leather so need some help!

So, I usually start with a good hoover, then a damp cloth wipe down, before using some GT12 Cleaner, on a very soft nail brush. It's important NOT to scrub, but to gently stir it onto and around the surface and into any creases and cracks if necessary - One more, do not scrub.. It'll need about 5 minutes to dry (start the other seat - no harm in leaving it longer). However, if the seats are really filthy then I'd go for a second application. Once dry, wipe off with a damp cloth.

Ok, so now our leather is clean, we need to condition it; Get a soft white cloth, and apply some GT11 leather conditioner sparingly and rubbed well and evenly into the leather. No polishing off is required after application. For very dry leather, apply two more coats within 48 hours.

And that's it. Do not expect instant results - Much like dry and sore hands, it takes time to undo the damage, but once thoroughly cleaned, you may find yourself initially doing a weekly moisturise, which goes to a monthly, which goes to 6 months.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:08 pm

Re: identifying your connector. If you download the parts book in pdf from the main site, about half way through you will find a section identifying connectors. If you are lucky, you might be able to order them from your Volvo dealer.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

balto8

Post by balto8 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Yes. I tried the Partsbook first thing. The two sides of the socket come with different part numbers . Google search sends you to the usual USA Volvo sites or western Europe "pay me my friend, then I will search, say it's not available and in a two month time you'll have your money back (company policies)"

I should be able to find it in an electric material supplier. Everything is closed in the middle of August in Spain. The country can be on stand by for a month believe it or not.
Spent two hours this afternoon driving with the roof lining board on the back of the big car to find 3 car upholsterers and 2 electric stuff suppliers closed.

Other than that, summer in the city, with the kids conveniently put at his grandparents at the village is priceless. That's why I need to finish this up before the end of month. As usual, things will be postponed for fall.
1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG

dutmanjf
Started learning about 480

Post by dutmanjf » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Looks nice that interior, and the connectors are almost on their way to you :)
480 Turbo 1991 305

eye of ra
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by eye of ra » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:19 pm

I believe all UK cars came standard with heated seats the fact you are in Spain may change things especially as you had to buy the switch panel however if you have the red connectors pictured in your post you may have the same loom. If you do the connectors for the seats may be under your carpet.

Red arrows your red connectors.
Green arrows connectors to seats.

Hope this helps.

As a side what is the second switch on the panel for?
Last edited by eye of ra on Sun May 06, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:32 pm

I added a second LR light switch on mine into the blank so I could control the aerial; personally I like being able to not have the aerial up getting a buffeting if I am listening to cds (unless I choose to have traffic info on)...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

balto8

Post by balto8 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:07 pm

dutmanjf wrote:Looks nice that interior, and the connectors are almost on their way to you :)
Yes John. it looks superb.

If you allow me to tell, John did the great favour, that only a true 480 enthusiast can do, of bringing me the whole interior leather set ( celebration pannels, dash stripes and both sides height adjusted seats, plues rear, on the roof rack of his other Volvo along with his 3 kid family when he came to Spain for vacation in July. We met in some Tarragona village, and his wife gave the "here comes another 480 freak like mine" look. :D :D

He also brought me a complete working CC.

There's nothing like The Netherlands for the 480s....

Eager to have all the backup parts here soon.

As for the wiring. I have it all solved with some pics i was sent and John is sending me a complete wiring. So that should be over soon enough.
My car was also prewired for HS and I did have the full buttons console.

The third button I use it aswell to cut the electric aerial antenna and avoid having it up on the highway or as a regular thing. YOu can take the sign from a 700 series, cut it a bit, drill a small hole in the plate, the stick it. It's blue but kind of greenish. Fits in nice I think. Now waiting for the connector to come so I can put in the EQ-611 and conclude the airplane-style dashboard.

New LED bulb in.

And ready to mount.
1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi all

I need your help on that one.

These are the cables coming from the car.
Is the white cable the seat belt "On" connector for the dasboard?

These are the cables from underneath the original cloth seat.
The white plug in my hand comes from the seatbelt, seat belt "On" connector?

These are the cables on the leather seat

So, correct me if I am wrong.
1) Connect the white connector from the car (pic 1) to the Grey connector (pic 3)?
2) Connect the black connector (pic 1) to the black connector (pic 3)?

balto8

Post by balto8 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:07 pm

Yep. You're right.

White to white /grey.

Black to black.

I understand you would have already plugged the wiring also at the back of the central console
1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:11 pm

balto8 wrote:Yep. You're right.

White to white /grey.

Black to black.

I understand you would have already plugged the wiring also at the back of the central console
I have not touched the central console, I will assume everything works and when it gets under 14 degrees I will know if the heated seats work :)

balto8

Post by balto8 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:14 pm

I believe it doesn't work like that. There's a resistance in both bottom and back grids that switches off at 37°ish. I don't think there's a below temperature switch so that it won't turn on unless it is below 14°. There's just an upper temperature switch.

Having that said, many resistances are broken at their soldering to the grid and need to be replaced by carefully undoing the upholstery, pulling the grid out, resoldering and push the grid back into the seat. My driver's one works, but the other doesn't. Could be the wiring, could also be the resistance, Too much trouble given I live in Spain in the Mediterranean where we never freeze our asses. Much more important to have the aircon running fine...
1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG