bumper gap after welding

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

bumper gap after welding

Post by timrosser » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:35 am

HI All,

Just had my rear valance cut out & welded for my MOT, from the side it looks a perfect job, the bumper mathes the countor or the wheel arch perfectly, but my 480 now has a 1cm 'gap between the rear of the bodywork (under the lights) and the start of the bumper- a little more at the ends (under the indicators) where the bumper is shaped to fit that car.

I really like & trust my garage, so I'm wondering what to do next? I was thinking a rubber gutter stuck to the bodywork might be a good idea to channel the water to the sides of the car rather than letting it fester around the bumper?

Best

Tim

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: bumper gap after welding

Post by jifflemon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:06 am

Got a pic?

I wonder if they've broke the studs on the bumper bar during removal and have recreated them? Checked to see if there's any adjustment to be had in the bumper bar?

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:42 pm

I'm not too sure how to put pics up here, but I am sure that my bumper bar was basically reduced a box of rusty branflakes and they fabricated a new one :-(

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:18 pm

Hmmmm that sounds like they may have just fabbed it a little wrong.

It attaches here underneath:

You may be able to oval the mounting points out to gain a little upward adjustment?

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:44 pm

I think many 480's have only rusty flakes left where once the rear bumper support has been :(

It is a tad expensive (€ 400), but there is someone in Germany who manufactures rear bumper supports in fibreglass.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:59 pm

Great, I think I know those screws! If you pop those off does the bumper just 'fall off' or does it need to be slid off? Thanks for the tip Robert- its been quite a pricey year for my 480 so I wont be doing that for a bit- off to the auto electricians tomorrow!

By the way nay thoughts about installing a rubber gutter along the bodywork behind the bumper? Channeling the water to the sides has to make more sense than letting its find its way around just about the whole rear end on its way to the ground?

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:13 pm

timrosser wrote:Great, I think I know those screws! If you pop those off does the bumper just 'fall off' or does it need to be slid off?

when bolts are undone , wiggle it (just a little bit) get a canny assistant if possible, pull th efornt ends out where they wrap arond the rear arch.

sliding back on is a PITA cos you need to line up the plastic slides/clips but the bumper wants to spread out at front edge as it passes along body work.

There is a couple of wee plastic dirt catchers with foam within just behind the arch, I'd strongly suggest that you remove the foam as it just keeps salty water against the steel boot floor, guess outcome :(

timrosser wrote: By the way nay thoughts about installing a rubber gutter along the bodywork behind the bumper? Channeling the water to the sides has to make more sense than letting its find its way around just about the whole rear end on its way to the ground?
I'd let it drain rather pool
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1