De-Airbag Shopping List

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

De-Airbag Shopping List

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Wed May 31, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi People,

Sorry to trouble you.

Is there a conclusive shopping list somewhere to replace the Airbag Wheel with an earlier non-airbag wheel? I have heard the column needs changing but there is no clarity about anything else.

I have searched numerous threads, mainly concerning the optional tri-stripe MOMO wheel, but it isn't quite clear what you need.

The reason why I ask, my (airbagged) car is in storage right now so I cant check. Plus, I heard a rumour that Lakes Volvo (Bedfordshire) is closing down. There is a sign outside saying "land for sale" so I would like to get down there with a shopping list ASAP before its turned into executive homes!

For example, wiper and indicator switches? Plastic cowlings? Ignition switch too? Like I say, a conclusive list would be great.

Also, can a 440/460 donor these parts?

All the best and thanks in advance,

Jay.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: De-Airbag Shopping List

Post by jifflemon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:18 am

This post suggests it's a column change.

I've seen the for sale sign too, but I don't think that's the big worry - the lack of 480's left at lakes should be more concerning!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:06 pm

INSTANT MoT fail!!!

unless you remove the SRS badges from the interior , so it's not obvious. . .. :wink:

EDIT
and I forgot that maybe only SRS badge is on the steering wheel :D ( seemed to think one on passenger side as well but that's the C30 )

take sticker off arm rest/cubby hole cover?

as long as bulb DOES NOT light then NOT a fail . .. . ..
Last edited by Alan 480 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WRDendy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:43 pm

Having done this I can offer the following information:

If you are talking about the Daytona wheel, it's the one that looks like this:
(Ignore the fact that it's in a 460 - I borrowed the picture from Google Images...)

Once you have it, you will need a Momo boss, part number ML9016 (that's from memory, I'll confirm that on my car next time I'm in it)

You will then need a non-airbag steering column and the cowling for the stalks. Although the boss will fit on an SRS column, the bolt is too long so the indicators won't cancel and the wheel will slide up and down the column. Not recommended for obvious reasons!

The column and the plastic cowling can be seen in this photo, which I borrowed from a thread by JohnTurbo:
This photo actually shows all the parts required to do the swap.

Last step is the ignition - if you have the keys for the donor column you can simply swap the barrels, if not then you'll have to get creative with a drill to get the old barrel out to make room for yours. If you are feeling particularly enterprising, you can replace the entire steering lock on the donor column with the one from your original column.

As far as the SRS light goes, that seems to depend on who you talk to. You can install a resistor across the wires that connect back to the SRS controller, so the car will see the right load for an airbag and the system (and light) will function as normal. You could probably also just remove the bulb, although opinions seem to differ on that. In my case, the SRS bulb has never actually worked, something I didn't realize it until after the column swap, not that it seemed to affect the MOT it had shortly beforehand. YMMV on that though.

Is it all worth doing? Absolutely. The SRS wheel is huge and not particularly comfortable. If you have a pre-airbag car with the 2-spoke wheel (perhaps even a leather one, looking at you there Jeff!) then it's probably not worth tracking down a Daytona as the stock wheels are actually very good in my opinion, but definitely worth the trouble if you have a later car.
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks all for your replies; appreciated.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:54 pm

on a separate note.... Good to see you back! :D