rear passenger footwell flood theorys?

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

rear passenger footwell flood theorys?

Post by timrosser » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:39 am

Hi guys.

Im developing a serious puddle in the rear passenger footwell- I really cant work this one out. I have changed the rubber on the front door, stuffed silicone sealant / crack cure around the rear window glass, and all of the plastic clips along the roofline.

The carpet seems dry all around the footwell, with the water deep enough to cover the pile of the carpet at the bottom of the footwell. Boot is also dry (for a 480)

My current theory is that one of the clips that hold the black trim in place between the rear glass and door is chipped, could the water travel all the way down the pillar and leak out into the footwell? Any other theory's?

Many thanks

Tim

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: rear passenger footwell flood theorys?

Post by Norm57 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi am currently suffering exact same thing but bu sitting in rear seats and getting someone to hose rear window discovered it was seal at top though it looked fine and olso coming in through rear light cover(where you get to bulbs) my theory is water runs down grooves in boot skin then enters fotwell that way hope this helps

bartekki
480 Newbie

Post by bartekki » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:29 pm

look if the water outlets in the side doors are maybe blocked.
Water is always getting in to the door along the lower horizontal side window gasket. If it can not run out through the outlets, it fills the whole under part of the door and than recasts over the pillar in to the interior.
bartekki =)
[url]www.klappscheinwerfer.at/bartekki´s-volvo-480-turbo[/url]

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:56 pm

Yeah look at the door. I had the same, never resolved it though. But traces pointed to the door. Also could be the plastic seal in the door is bad.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks guys, Ive drawn a huge chalk line on the metal when the passenger seats folded forward to see if it smudges. My front door gutters are fine although the door sits ever so slightly ajar at the base, although I think the seal with the rubber is dine, no wind noise etc. My back lights have the combo of Joep seals and refurbed lights, and the mosture traps under the spare wheel / tools look ok- dosnt mean its not possible tho!

I guess the next move is tighten the rear light screws & then pop out back window and totally re-seal?

Tim

Norm57

Post by Norm57 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Good luck with that I have sourced new seal off evil buy £4.60 a metre hope to fit it tomorrow,hopefully this will cure problem the strange thing is it's only drivers side foot wells that get wet!!

eye of ra

Post by eye of ra » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Having spent many an hour I now have a perfectly dry boot and found lots of leaking points. The last ones caused exactly the problem you are having, water in the passenger side footwell.

Check the following

1. The grommet where the cable from the rear window electrics goes into the roof.
2. The seal where the same cable goes into the rear hatch.
3. The cable itself for cracks in the insulation.

All these points allow water into parts of the car that end up in the left-hand footwell.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

Norm57

Post by Norm57 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:05 pm

Hi just an update I have fitted the seal aquired of evil buy its a really good fit and seems to have solved the problem,will wait for rainy day then report back,something tells me I won't have to wait very long :wink:

JimAitken
Started learning about 480

Post by JimAitken » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:27 pm

I also had serious puddles in all footwells as well as the boot in this recent heavy rain. I've managed to resolve all the issues as follows. I removed the door panels and underneath I found the plastic membrane which stops water coming in had long ago gone brittle and broken up allowing water to run down the inside of the door and into the car. I used sticky back plastic to reseal those.... front puddles gone. The rear footwell puddles dried up when I started to park the car facing uphill... I found that the water was coming in through the gap at the top of the rear window where the loom is, and then dropping down and running forward under the rear seats. Parking the car uphill isn't always practical, so I'm in the process of fixing that gap!!! For now I have a bucket placed there. All carpets are now nice and dry.

Hope that helps someone.
Jim
current: 480GT, V70 D5
previous: 480Turbo, 440, 850, V70 Classic. Renaults 4/5/6/20, Mini Cooper S (1968), Alfasud ti

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:17 am

I love the rear loom theory! Mine is a bit slack and I was planning to jenonite the hell out of it in the summer, but having pulled out most the rear trim I see no sign of water from the drivers side rear window, but plenty of damp around and behind the rear boot pocket area on the fuel pump side, when I popped off the interior trim the sound proofing foam was wet with pretty fresh water... will bring that project forward. I wonder if I used some rubber matting I could re-direct the flood water into the drains in the jack storage pit...

Door is plan b ;-)

Thanks so much guys!

Tim

Rogelj123
480 Newbie

Post by Rogelj123 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:08 am

I have a water ingres problem in the trunk. Wet below the carpet just behind the rear right seat. Is it possible that the upper trunk seal leaks or is there someting else I should be aware of?

Baxter
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Baxter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:41 pm

I have the same problem. Water in the boot and rear right passanger footwell.

I rotate the rear window rubber and things went better. Still a bit of water ingress between the frame and the glass in the upper part but small drops, nothing big. Probably the glass is not very well sealed to the frame.

But the big thing comes from the key plastic between rear lights, it is a bit curved and there's a big gap on the interior.

In the boot, I notice more water on the right than on the left, so may be that's way there's water on the rear right passenger footwell.
Hector.

Baxter
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Baxter » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:11 pm

Having a look to the boot I imagine that it is easy for the water to arrive to the passenger footwell from the boot. The shape of the steel helps a lot.

Hector.