Reinforcing the dashboard frame.

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

balto8
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Reinforcing the dashboard frame.

Post by balto8 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:14 pm

This is my second dashboard front frame gone. The original one I bought the car with was also broken. Same place ( upper right corner, LHD), same trace. Thank God I got myself during this year a couple more just in case ( wich has come to be).

Getting ready to replace it again and also replace some bulbs in the speedo. Any proven method to reinforce that corner and keep it from breaking?

1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG

Ade
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: Reinforcing the dashboard frame.

Post by Ade » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:38 pm

Not proven as mine is (and always has been) bust and so have never tried it but.....

I'm sure coating the inside with araldite/loctite double bubble etc would strengthen it considerably. Just rough it up first and apply a layer of epoxy based glue over the inside of the corner. Gotta help some.....
O.C. 480 D.

gltease
480 Veteran

Post by gltease » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:54 pm

Ade wrote:Not proven as mine is (and always has been) bust and so have never tried it but.....

I'm sure coating the inside with araldite/loctite double bubble etc would strengthen it considerably. Just rough it up first and apply a layer of epoxy based glue over the inside of the corner. Gotta help some.....
Yeah, also used epoxy in the past, strong and flexible enough..
'88 Volvo 480 ES
'97 Volvo 940 Turbo

heavend
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by heavend » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:34 am

I've done 5-6 of these successfully. I used thin fiberglass tape and resin on the inside, ensuring the crack was held OPEN. I reckon they crack because the outer part is too small...
Then fill the crack and airbrush for an invisible repair.
THEN trim the vinyl back and sand/grind the inner frame back so there is more clearance between the two parts.

gltease
480 Veteran

Post by gltease » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:37 am

heavend wrote:I've done 5-6 of these successfully. I used thin fiberglass tape and resin on the inside, ensuring the crack was held OPEN. I reckon they crack because the outer part is too small...
Then fill the crack and airbrush for an invisible repair.
THEN trim the vinyl back and sand/grind the inner frame back so there is more clearance between the two parts.
Yeah, the fibre glass tape is a top idea !! Have used epoxy to repair the stand offs for the screws too... Those are extra brittle.
'88 Volvo 480 ES
'97 Volvo 940 Turbo