can the front wings be removed without taking off the nose?

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

can the front wings be removed without taking off the nose?

Post by timrosser » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi guys, have a few spots of rust I need to get at on my drivers side front wing, can it be removed by popping out the hexagonal blots along the top of the wing under the bonnet, or is life a lot harder than that? Any tips?

Tim

Slash01
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: can the front wings be removed without taking off the no

Post by Slash01 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:46 pm

The wings are also secured under the bonnet hinges. So you have to remove the bonnet. The hinge bolts I believe are accessible from inside the wheel arch. Therefore the front wheels need to be off.
I remember trying to remove the wings from a breaker but gave up in the end and brought some already off lol
There are always ample warnings and there are always subtle signs,
And you would have seen them coming but we gave you too much time.

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:06 pm

Ok, thats v helpful, taking off the wheels is just like changing tire Slash? In any case this isnt an afternoon job!

Thanks again

Tim

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:01 pm

to remove the wings dont forget youe have to remove the inner black wing protector in order to get to the bolt which secures it onto the door pillar.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:32 pm

timrosser wrote:Hi guys, have a few spots of rust I need to get at on my drivers side front wing, can it be removed by popping out the hexagonal blots along the top of the wing under the bonnet, or is life a lot harder than that? Any tips?

Tim
As Jim says, you need to remove plastic trim (and the heads of screws will be rusted), there is ONE difficult bolt at front edge tucked in behind bumper but wings can be removed with outer bolt on bumper (behind the head light) loosened and just hold back edge of bonnet up whilst slip wing from underneath it :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1