rear hatch seal?

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Flying Dutchman
480 Newbie

rear hatch seal?

Post by Flying Dutchman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:13 am

Is there anyone who knows where to buy a new rubber seal for the rear hatch? Mine i leaking on top near the cable. Volvo dosnt sell them any more. Please help me! Im in the middle of rain season in Sweden!!! :)

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: rear hatch seal?

Post by doingitsideways » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Apparently, the seal from a Fiat Bravo/Brava (can't remember which) fits quite well with a little modification.

I was speaking to a chap who used one and he said it seals well, as it's slightly thicker than a standard 480 seal.

Steve :hopping:
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

Flying Dutchman
480 Newbie

Post by Flying Dutchman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:43 am

Perfect! Thanks a lot for this great tip. Brava and Bravo is quite similar, 3 or 5 doors. Will go to the scrapyard this Friday and remove one. I'll post the progress after replacing. :) Also learned you could put a thin hose inside of the original seal to make it seal better.

Flying Dutchman
480 Newbie

Post by Flying Dutchman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:46 pm

I tried an experiment since Im about to change the seal anyway. Smudged a thin layer of loctite flange sealant on it and let it dry over night in the garage with the hatch open. Worked great! Dont know how the long term would be, but it works for now at least.

CaptainQwerty
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by CaptainQwerty » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:22 pm

doingitsideways wrote:Apparently, the seal from a Fiat Bravo/Brava (can't remember which) fits quite well with a little modification.

I was speaking to a chap who used one and he said it seals well, as it's slightly thicker than a standard 480 seal.

Steve :hopping:

This is good to know - I may give this a try.

Thanks.
.:Volvo 480 Turbo:.