window screen & rust !

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

yopman
480 Newbie

window screen & rust !

Post by yopman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:25 pm

All,

Just a quick note to say that the top corners (left & right) of my window screen have developed small cracks over the last 6 months, which have slowly got larger until a "death crack" recently developed.

Booked an appointment with "Autoglass" to ensure a trouble free insurance claim, only to be told I would have to wait 12 days for an appointment. Upon arrival of said appointment, "Autoglass" repairman kindly advised that there was no way he was going to drop a new screen onto rust (rust was news to me as there were no external signs of it) & nothing could be done that day (He riveted the screen back together at no charge). He confirmed that he would be glad for me to book the car into a body shop where "Autoglass" would happily remove the screen & return for installation of the new screen once rust repair was complete, given the 12 delay to making the initial booking & combining that with a body shops schedule seemed a nightmare / disaster just waiting to unfold.

Therefore I found a independent window screen shop happy to "angle grind" the rust and then seal with primer (£40 extra) & then install the new screen as normal. As it transpired, it was "very light surface rust" only: so this solution was fine (I picked a window screen repair shop next to a body shop in case the rust was terrible), So far it seems to be a great fix: although only time will tell of course how long the screen lasts (in case the rust re-occurs meaning the screen will re-crack, resulting in a new death crack, etc).

Anyhows, just thought everyone might like to know my experiences in this regard, in case others later suffer these issues & will know one route open to them.

Cheers,

Yopman.

Slash01
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: window screen & rust !

Post by Slash01 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:45 am

Experiencing a similar thing with my windscreen. A blemish in the top corner that with heat became a crack and now a new blemish in the lower corner on the same side.
Was looking to try Autoglass. I just hope there's no rust in there. A friend told me that the blemish look like the glass layers separating allowing air and moisture in between.
There are always ample warnings and there are always subtle signs,
And you would have seen them coming but we gave you too much time.