Moonroof problem but not the usual!

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

yorkshire480
Knows where Volvo is from

Moonroof problem but not the usual!

Post by yorkshire480 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:13 pm

Okay so the other weekend after waxoiling my rear arches I finally got round to replacing the pins in my moonroof. Previously it was doing the classic going up/not going down thing so I assumed it was the pins and sourced replacements.
However! When I came to do the job it now only goes up on the drivers side and sticks on the passenger side with only a little movement.
I haven't used it at all for months due to our extended winter so something's happened in the meantime as it was going up on both sides last year!

I tried persuading it with some upward force from inside the car with no success - passenger side only moves up a little and the drivers side most of the way held back by the other sides non movement no doubt. I'm loath to force it and having searched extensively I can't find any clues in previous posts or within the exploded view diagram in the tutorial.
Am I missing something?

Any ideas?

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Moonroof problem but not the usual!

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:25 pm

if the pins are intact there are only a couple of possibilities....

1 the worm gear has worn

or

2 the drive connecting wire has worn or jammed.

If you are certain that the pins are okay then the only way to get access to the motor is to partially remove the headlining.
There is no other way.

look at this thread it will help you ..
http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 24&t=18749