strange sloshing noise

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Ade
Can tell where the 480 was built

strange sloshing noise

Post by Ade » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:47 pm

hi,
any ideas what may be causing a strange sloshing noise? It almost sounds like the fuel in the tank splashing forwards when braking but it apperars to be coming from somewhere very close to my right hand side. Checked the sill by taking the bungs out, bone dry, and also the inside of the drivers door is bone dry. Where could there be trapped water?
Thanks in advance,

Ade
O.C. 480 D.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: strange sloshing noise

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:43 am

try feeling under carpet as thereis sponge 1cm thick under the rubber backing :lol:

Ade

Post by Ade » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:50 pm

I dont think its anything to do with that, it sounds like a fair quantity of liquid. Imagine you have a bottle of pop in the door pocket and then you brake to a stop, you hear it slosh around in the bottle, sounds exactly like that :shock: :shock:

It is worrying me a bit as liquid means one thing, RUST! and its got enough of that on the rear arches!

On the plus side it did pass its MOT first time on saturday, well impressed for a 21 year old car :hopping:
O.C. 480 D.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:34 pm

You have no idea of the sea nay ocean that can exist below your very feet. :rofl:

Ade

Post by Ade » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:24 pm

a very long time since i mentioned this and until recently i never did find out what it was....

I finally got around to repairing the 'dreaded unstoppable rot' caused by years of damp in the back. This turned out to be a nightmarish can of worms involving replacing a quarter of the boot floor, rear support arm mount, a complete wheel arch (repair panel for mk3 golf, needed lots of work to fit, looks good but it is not quite the same as the original, will need to do the other side too anyway so that will even it up!), about the rear 12" of the lower part of the sill on both sides, large sections of the inner arch including where the seatbelt is anchored and the list goes on and on.......... anyway, i digress.

While i was cutting away the rot and remains of an old (not very good) repair from the lower portion of the rear wheel arch and the rear end of the sill i made a discovery...

As i peered deeper into the bowels of the sill i saw (with horror) a whole mass of powdery corroded steel scattered all over and sections of the inner structure corroded beyond recognition. The noise that i had been hearing was the rotted remains of quite a lot of my car moving around in the sill.

So there you have it, if you do have a similar experience of the sound of 'something moving around' that you cant put your finger on and your car has visible rust, be afraid, be very afraid!

I guess most of you would see this and send it packing to the nearest scrap yard, I however have tried to save my turbo from death, at least for a few years yet. It has taken many hours out of my life but finally it looks like it might be able to pass an MOT. Still needs finishing and painting though. I just cant let the old girl go until ive had a good few more thousands of miles out of her!
O.C. 480 D.

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:21 am

Good on yer fella

Many people would just give up but just about everything can be saved if you have the time. I have a bit of a liking for old French cars and as you know rust is de rigueur with them
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R