Headlamp levelling

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

2tone
480 Newbie

Headlamp levelling

Post by 2tone » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:53 pm

Another question...
My (german) 1992 480 is equipped with headlamplevelling. Too bad it doesn´t function at the moment and i can´t find anything on this system in my Haynes manual. There is a switch in the centre console which can be turned, but nothing happens after that. I couldn´t remove the switch so far (any tips?) Near the headlamps i found some white tubes, could they have something to do with the headlamplevelling?

Thanks for thinking (and replying)

Joost.

Peter
Started learning about 480

Post by Peter » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:20 pm

There must be blue fluid in both white pipes (connected to the headlamp's body). If not: this is another common fault of 480 cars due to cracks let fluid escaping. You can also check pipes at the switch end simply pulling the swich, prising off the numbered plastic, and unscrewing the two bolts.
(DO NOT unscrew the 1 screw under the switch, you will never be able to refit!)
If you have fluids inside, check headlamp end black heads (with small rods) moving the lamps. If they are corroded they do not move. Remove rust.
If the system is leaking (I have two of these with 1-1 pipes leaking) you must buy a new one. Dealers sell it only complete and extemely expensive.

Peter