Dash board lights not working

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

sakis480
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Dash board lights not working

Post by sakis480 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:55 am

Hi to all ..

I know there are many posts concerning the lighting of the dash board..But this is a bit different problem..

The lighting behind the clock and the airco switches (back light) are not working at all...The fuses are all ok.. When tried to swap the old car stereo box, I found an extra cabling interface (orange color) which was not connected to anything..The electrician who set the new car stereo said that this has nothing to do with the car stereo wirring..so it must be a loose connection to the dashboard...I tried to remove the panel of the airco switching and the clock, but no lack...has anyone dοne it before?

thanx waiting an answer
sakis480 2 lt GT

sdbruin
480 Newbie

Dashboard lighting

Post by sdbruin » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:33 am

Sakis,

The empty connector is for the extra instruments (voltage etc.) that are used on the Turbo versions. Those instruments are located below the radio, but the 2.0 ltr versions have a simple tray on this location This plug is normally connected in a slot that is on the back of the tray below the radio. This is done to prevent rattling of the cable.

The lights of the airconditioning panel are located on the left and right side of the panel. When I removed the panel to solder a bad joint I replaced those lights. You might be able to replace them without removing the airconditioning panel itself but you have to remove the black part of the dashboard that is facing you. You might be able to slide out the bulb holders on each side and replace the lights and slide the bulb holders back in.

I hope this will help you.

Greetings,

Sander

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:01 pm

check the electric schedule, look if there are orange wires in the center panel. check if there is positive current on the wire (tape it off anyhow if youre doing nothing!) You can use a little test lamp.

succes

JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

sakis480
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by sakis480 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:30 am

Thank you both for the replies.

well yesterday I managed to change the light of the clock and it is working good. So there is not a loose connection. I ve noticed that this stays on, all the time, even if the car lights are turned off...Perhaps due to the northern europe standard (Belgium)....On my Turbo the back lights of all the instruments are turned on, only if the car lights are turned on...

So it must be the same for the lighting of the aircondition system...

Ok, so the interface connector must be for extra instruments...Can I use the same instruments from my turbo?? I know the turbo pressure meter instrument will not work but how about the volt meter and the oil pressure meter??? The interfaces though is different....

waiting for a reply

sakis

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:53 pm

maybe look for a white recktangle plug to plug in the rear of the clocks ?
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

keithemm
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by keithemm » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:31 am

Can I use the same instruments from my turbo?? I know the turbo pressure meter instrument will not work but how about the volt meter and the oil pressure meter???
The voltage meter will work, but you will need to replace the oil sensor with an oil sender unit(3344174) + adaptor(3434892) think you might need some washers too.