Occupied / seatbelt sensor passenger chair 1995 models

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Occupied / seatbelt sensor passenger chair 1995 models

Post by coyote1980 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:56 pm

Hi all,

in my car I don't get a flashing red light on the dashboard when someone is sitting in the passenger chair when they don't have their sealbelt on yet. My old 1987 used to warn in such an occasion. My question: does the passenger chair have sensors in a 1995 model? For the drivers seat everything works fine!
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

Ben Harris
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ben Harris » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:51 pm

I didn't think a '95 car had the sensors for the passenger.

I've got a '89 ES 1.7 (CEM II) which does have the sensors - it lights up the dashboard if either the passenger or the driver are occupying a seat, and don't have the seatbelt on. I've also got a '93 ES 2.0 ('94 model - CEM III), which appears to always flash the seatbelt warning light on the dashboard about 5 times, whenever the ignition is turned on, regardless of whether the seatbelt is plugged in or not, and, beeps alongside each flash of the warning light, until the drivers seatbelt is plugged in, whereupon it continues to flash until the 5-times have passed, but stops beeping. (hope that makes sense!)

Ben.

Sergio480GT
480 Newbie

Post by Sergio480GT » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:36 am

My 1995 480GT (german delivery) does not have the passenger seatbelt function - and I read in a german 480 forum that this seems to be correct...
Well, seems that Volvo tried to save more money as years went by... Just think about the handgrips with reading lights early models had, or the floor lights for the front passengers (late models only have the hole for those lights... :( ), the engine lights, the little lights in the seatbelt-plugs, the "beep"-function alongside the seatbelt warning light, the earls non-tutbos with the two additional gauges...
Maybe someone can complete this list of gadgets that misteriously disappeared on the later models...

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:07 am

Sergio480GT wrote:My 1995 480GT (german delivery) does not have the passenger seatbelt function - and I read in a german 480 forum that this seems to be correct...
Ben Harris wrote:I didn't think a '95 car had the sensors for the passenger.

I've also got a '93 ES 2.0 ('94 model - CEM III), which appears to always flash the seatbelt warning light on the dashboard about 5 times, whenever the ignition is turned on, regardless of whether the seatbelt is plugged in or not, and, beeps alongside each flash of the warning light, until the drivers seatbelt is plugged in, whereupon it continues to flash until the 5-times have passed, but stops beeping. (hope that makes sense!)
Thank you for your replies, I now again believe my car is normal. Really a shame that a brand so keen on safety removes the sensor for the passenger-seat.

I have no beep in my 1995 ES when the seatbelt light flashes, do other 1995 models beep? Beeps are often cool, sometimes I just keep the rear-window demister pressed until it beeps, just because I like the sound :lol:
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

dragon

Post by dragon » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:14 am

Yes, thank you for this - you've saved me a lot upset as I was going to take my passenger seat out to try and work out why my sensor doesn't work...
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:35 am

I think looking for it is less efford as typing this message.

Just look if there are wires coming out of the seat bottom (more than the seat warmer) check their colours fist in the E- schedule.
No need the hassle to remove the seat : just use a lamp and a small mirror.

If "fundig" check also the wires to the lock.

If there is indeed none, I think it will be a small efford to build it in. (parts from old 480, get also the other gadgets..)

Havent' heard of a 480 beebing as the "red man is in the car " I know 480's, from the beginning upto '88.

Yes, the strip down of the 480 in years is almost an excuse to love my "old " '88 better than a possible '95 successor....

Hope the man who stopped the 480 of going to US rots in hell

(the currency and possible warranty costs are just bull shit excuses.)

If did, we still had a 480, (or successor) and a completer, better build one.
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen