sunroof

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Sergio480GT
480 Newbie

sunroof

Post by Sergio480GT » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:50 pm

Cll me crazy- but I wonder if I could have an original sunroof fitted to my 480GT which left factory without this option...
Buying a used sunroof from a scrapyard is one thing - but can it possibly be fitted to my car??? Makingthe hole in the roof etc. etc.....
Has someone done this sort of job to his car?? With good results?? it should of course look good and shouldn't be told from the factory-mounted thing...
Sergio

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:53 pm

There aren't any problems with fitting a manual sunroof in your 480 (when it's done properly...). The problem starts when you want to fit an electrical one that can slide backwards. This is because a metal-bar is placed from left to right about where the reading-lights in the roof are placed. An electric sunroof that only tilts should be no problem, but not 100% sure.

Just something to get this thread starting... ;)
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

pt
480 Newbie

Sunroof

Post by pt » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:53 pm

[quote]an electrical one that can slide backwards[/quote]

I was wondering about this. Mine's electric but I can only get it to tilt. It's a bit inadequate calling it a sunroof - more of a ventilation slot really.

Am I missing something, or have I just got the wrong sort of sunroof?

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:07 pm

I am not sure but believe more versions of sunroof (and moonroof as Volvo has also called them) have existed. I don't know for sure if all versions were made by Volvo:
  • 1) A manually operated sunroof that could only be tilted at the rear-side, believe this was an original Volvo accessory.
  • 2) A powered sunroof that could be both tilted or slided back between the roof and the roof-panel on the inside. In this case the car had be specially prepared in the factory, and a different roof-panel on the inside was fitted (a bit lower). Original Volvo accessory of course.
  • 3) A powered sunroof that does the same things as no. 2, except it can only tilt...
So you being able to only tilt it sounds familiair.
Daniël Wilten

Sergio480GT
480 Newbie

Post by Sergio480GT » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:34 am

No. 1.) existed, it was an original volvo after-sales option, it's smaller than the factory mounted sun/moonroof and, to be honest, it looks very "after-market", if you know what I mean... So I wouldn't go for that one.

Electric sun/moonroof: All the german sales catalogues I have (MJ 1988 to 1995) only mention the ability to tilt, not to slide backwards of the roof. I believe that - because of the roll-over protection bar Daniel already mentioned - a sliding roof never existed for the 480 (please tell me if I'm wrong... I know only of 440 / 460 with a sliding roof)

So I would like to fit the just tilting roof to my car - and again: Has anyone done this already??? The roll-over protection bar isn't a problem at all in this case, but is it possible to have a "nice" and well done hole made in the roof?? I don't want to ruin my baby just because I want a sunroof to play with... :D

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:18 am

The electric tilting sunroof needs a pressed hole in the roof, for it to sit on. I know, i have just had to cut the pressing out of one to fit my roll cage in.
So i think it must be pressed out at the factory before the roof is bonded on to the car, so it is unlikely you could do this afterwards.
The aftermarket manual one is a possibility. I might even have one to sell if i can get it out...
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:59 pm

Sergio480GT wrote:Electric sun/moonroof: All the german sales catalogues I have (MJ 1988 to 1995) only mention the ability to tilt, not to slide backwards of the roof. I believe that - because of the roll-over protection bar Daniel already mentioned - a sliding roof never existed for the 480 (please tell me if I'm wrong... I know only of 440 / 460 with a sliding roof)
You're wrong! :D Well, partially then. I know someone who has a 480 with an electric sunroof that can slide backwards too! They have inserted a new roof-cover in his car that is a bit lower, I believe the glass now slides underneath his roll-over protection bar. It was definitely aftermarket, I have no idea where he fitted it.
Sergio480GT wrote:So I would like to fit the just tilting roof to my car - and again: Has anyone done this already??? The roll-over protection bar isn't a problem at all in this case, but is it possible to have a "nice" and well done hole made in the roof?? I don't want to ruin my baby just because I want a sunroof to play with... :D
I don't like the looks of the manual aftermarket sunroof that much, so you should go for the electric one. Several are/were for sale on http://www.onderdeel-nodig.nl/index.php?id=8, but that's a dutch site that sells an electric aftermarket slide/tilt sunroof (in dutch: Elektrisch schuif/kanteldak) for 125 euro. It's white but can be repainted of course. Good luck!
Daniël Wilten