removing carpets

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Derek Johnson
480 Newbie

removing carpets

Post by Derek Johnson » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:20 pm

Does anyone know if it is necessary to remove the front seats in order to remove the carpets? When the better weather comes I want to take them out and clean them but it looks as if they go under the seat mountings and the seat mounting bolts seem incredibly tight. Dont want to wash them inside in case it causes rust etc.

Ben Harris
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ben Harris » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:38 pm

I'm fairly certain from when I replaced my seats for leather seats, that it did look like the seats would need to be removed to get the carpets out. There are four torx bolts that hold each seat in. If my memory serves correctly, I think they're size 55 (mm?).

Ben.

bbf
480 Is my middle name

Post by bbf » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:47 am

Hi!
You will have to remove seats, that's for sure. it is torx, i used 45, but it was a little small, it didn't fit well, gues it is 50 or 55. I hate torx, i'll replace them by inbus. and there is one other thing to remove: there's a profile which supports ventilation housing. 2 plain 10's and 2 philips to unsrew, i think. and seatbelt guides, and housing of tank/reardoor lever, and side corner trims near CEM and ECU and side trims (just pull them upwards, starting from rear).
I too removed carpeting and cleaned it. I used loundry powder and a watter, smear all ower, brush it and leave it for couple of hours. Then wash off with 80 bar pressure washer. don't put carpets dirrectly on ground, use a ladder or something underneath, so watter stream can pass the carpet. Results: the carpets are like NEW! i did trunk carpet too this way.
while carpets removed, inspect for wattered foamed rubber on bottom. Mine were all soaked, and you can't remove the one in front, unless you take all cockpit out. just lift it and mop the watter out and dry with something. and rust: mine rusted arround big lids in front, and little holes for fuel line holders and left seat mountings! i will leave big lids open, so the watter can get out (the holes are on top of the chassis canals, so watter can't get in)
pretty nasty job, now in winter!

have a nice day!

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:07 am

I was trying to do mine yesterday and failed. Its a T50 for definate as I had to buy one. I'd suggest getting a socket one on a breaker bar or something. On each seat 3 of the torx screws have ok access, but one, front, nearest the centre console is a bitch. Ruined one of mine as didn't have good enough leverage. Shit. Can probably get it one day if i got my breaker bar. Shortage of tools at home...

I found you can spray WD40 on the protruding thread on the underside of the car. This helped a lot. You could probably brush off any mud with a wire brush to make it easier too.

Attempt the difficult ones I sugested first I reckon, then you'll know if the others are worth while.

Good luck

pol

Ben Harris
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ben Harris » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:16 am

pol wrote:Its a T50 for definate as I had to buy one.

I found you can spray WD40 on the protruding thread on the underside of the car. This helped a lot.
Sorry.... T50 it is then! :) I know I bought a set of torx drivers especially to remove my seats, and it was one of the bigger ones. I also used WD40 on the threads under the car beforehand, and allowed it to soak in. This made it much easier.

Ben.

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:33 pm

yep remove the seats.

poor mc. guyver as i am i regrinded an old imbus key to torx... did rather well.., but you must be able to work with a table grinder... did come loose unharmed, but with some violence... I replaced them with inox (stainlesssteel) bolts. (on shelf)
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:54 pm

Make sure it's a good T50. You don't want to mess the bolts up :wink:
use a long extension and then lots of lever.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

bbf
480 Is my middle name

Post by bbf » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:05 pm

so you all hate torx too! i started to hate them when i find one stuck in my rear tire....

keithemm
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by keithemm » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:34 pm

on an almost similar matter, does anyone know the size of tx star bit needed to undo the screw which holds in the seat belt guide arm? i think it is T50+ not sure. anyone know?
thanks!

bbf
480 Is my middle name

Post by bbf » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:48 pm

it was inbus in mine... if you mean those on B pilar? some sort of spring'n'jump in your head? i have removed them, were all broken. and rear belts too.

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:04 am

If you mean the springy seatbelt art mhing that always break, on mine it was an allen. (is 'inbus' the same as 'allen' volvofox?).

I hate torx with a passion. And I can never find the torx sets I buy. When I need them. Got allen keys everywhere. Even today, was trying to fix a dyson vacuum cleaner. got most of it to bits, get to the mtor surround.... recessed t25's or something... cant find a torx long enough or skinny enough to fit... Why couldn't it just be phillips like the rest of the screws. i reckon they're put in just to stop things being servicable by me.

pol

bbf
480 Is my middle name

Post by bbf » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:19 am

allen srew = Inbusschraube (it is in german)

keithemm

Post by keithemm » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:16 pm

Yeah, i was confused by 'inbus' too. Yeah, i mean the one which holds the seatbelt arm, which has broken, hence needing to replace :) Allen eh? That could make it more awkward, I think it is on pretty tight. Can you get allen sets with lots of leverage?

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:03 pm

Buy yourself a breaker bar from halfords. They're great and shiny and you can smash things with them or scare people and mine doubled up as an excellent de-cat tool.... Anyway just buy an allen socket that fits. Breaker bars are so useful.

pol

keithemm

Post by keithemm » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:37 pm

Damn, was just in Halfords getting some Wynn injector cleaner, did see the allen socket bits, will look out for breaker bars next time. Cheers!

Derek Johnson
480 Newbie

Post by Derek Johnson » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:14 pm

Thanks guys for all the replies. Great bit of useful info. DJ
I will wait for the better weather

ps Dont spend days looking for squeaks from the front nearside when turning right. Remove cassettes from glovebox. Nuff said.