Rear Speakers

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

hereagain
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by hereagain » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:51 pm

Thanks, I might have a look at doing this, I need to take various panels off the car to look at the ariel that I broke when adding a new CD player..
Black 480ES J Plate
http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v14/Hereagain/
Steve
Cambs

wouty
480 Newbie

Post by wouty » Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:45 pm

I have placed speakers in the rear storage compartments..but it isn't powerfull enough...(i should be satsfied just once :wink: ).
I went to this car audio shop and the owner and i looked at the car. This guy started to smile and said "you never can get enough power (max 60 watt's) from the side panels and due to the large amount of loose plastic it will resonate like hell. (unless you stick bitumen on it..wich is a very good advice :D ). The depth of the side panels isn't enough for more than appr. 60 watts.
He advised me to make some kind of heavy but removable MDF cube-box with can be placed on both sides next to the spare wheel. This should be large enough to fit a 15x24 cm 100 watt oval speaker in it.
So this is my project. I hope someone has some experience with this?
I read an article of a guy who made an MDF shelf/trunk thing for in the backside of the car, instead of the standard cover, but for me that is not an option.

:wave: cheers

Wouty
and the wise men said: salami met worst

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:18 pm

I once made a rear-shelf consisting of 2 parts, complete with hinges which also allowed me to remove the moving part of my shelf. It never looked good enough to me, but I was able to put some large oval 3-way speakers in it and use the entire trunk as a sound-box :D

Several others have also made shelves themselves. Most of the times it takes 2 to 3 attempts to make it look really good. They often look best when covered with leather (IMHO) and you can pull the leather nicely over the speaker openings in the wood :D

I now have the rear speakers for above the storage trays in the rear and conclude following: when you have good front speakers the original rear speakers will annoy you more than they will add quality to the sound. One day I am gonna buy some decent rear-speakers, probably Pioneer again, and hope that will improve sound!
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

hereagain
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by hereagain » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:15 pm

I think I am going to attempt the sound proofing as recommended, a weekend with the new stereo has confirmed what you said. What is the best stuff and where do you get it, any tips on the actual job??...did you just remove the speakers and stick the mats behind, or did you remove much more trim??

Cheers
Black 480ES J Plate
http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v14/Hereagain/
Steve
Cambs

084ovlov
480 Newbie

Wiring diagram for original equaliser/amplifier?

Post by 084ovlov » Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:06 pm

My 88 was equipped originally with Volvo radio/cassette (CE-702/5), with speakers in the doors. In addition an original Volvo equaliser EQ-611/7 was placed in the centerconsol and an amplifier (possibly a HA-4020) placed under the right front seat, connected to additional speakers beside the backseats.

I have the wiring for the radio/antenna and so on, but not for the additional packets, Do any one have this additional wiring diagram or any tips?

The equaliser was connected to the stereo with a circular six pin plug and “+/- and the amplifier with a circular eight pin plug. This last plug is now missing. There are seven cables from the amplifier to the radio; two tick black, different blue and so on.

I still have the original radio, but think it was something wrong with it, any how it is replaced by a Pioneer Radio/CD. This works OK, but I would like to add the amplifier with the speakers in the back and may be the equaliser.

Best regards