My 480 ES chopped up and scrapped back end.

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

gingherheed
Can tell where the 480 was built

My 480 ES chopped up and scrapped back end.

Post by gingherheed » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:12 pm

I finally got some pics on with help from richj who's stood behind me.

I enjoyed cutting the chassis up, but was sad to see a 480 going to the forum in the sky!!

Auk
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Auk » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Sad pictures :cry:

This was my old 480...
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n257 ... _A1130.jpg

The rear is missing, I still got that in my garage as I want to fix that up and put it on the wall with working lights etc etc :rofl:
Auke

Volvo. for life

gingherheed

Sad

Post by gingherheed » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:49 pm

Indeed v sad. But on the bright side it means other beautiful cars can go on living a useful and meaningful life.

I see it as being a bit like organ donation!!

esta
480 Is my middle name

Post by esta » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:35 pm

:cryhard:

always such a sad sight!
[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/estamace/logo.jpg[/img]

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Volvo 480 ;)

WANT: 480 GT-Turbo & Jaguar XJR-S
HAVE: Jaguar XJ40 4l Sov
HAD: 480 GT (Lula) & 480 ES (Lulu), Mk4 XR3i (Wall*E), Rover 416i (Junior-R.I.P. bud), X2 (Percy) & Tahiti (Tati)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk

gingherheed

Picture this.

Post by gingherheed » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm

When I was cutting it up I encountered resistance! I was holding up the rear half with one hand and cutting through the exhaust with the other. It fell on me.

The fella opposite my house came over and offered me his ickle tiny trailer to help me move the scrap bit. I promptly vandalised it to get the back half on.

The only way I could manage to get the back on the trailer was to remove the rear axle/springs/wheels etc then with the scrap bit ( still upside down) stood almost on end I pulled the trailer underneath it and tied it on. It looked abit like a tortoise shell arrangement.

Then the guy from over the road came back with his car and we went to the scrappy. He towed the trailer and I had all the other bits in the back of the Merc.

The whole episode looked extremely odd. I got that impression from the funny looks I was getting from padders by.

I did the whole thing on my own. In the rain.

Happy with that.

stig
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by stig » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:59 pm

Interesting seeing the internal parts of the rear wing......some sort of flange running around inside ....could be a moisture trap and the cause of failure ( especially with all the leaks in the rear area).

Do you have a closer picture of this area gingerheed ?.

Is there anything to be done to prevent failure........a pre-emptive strike with waxoyl or similar for example ??

Cheers

Stig
1968 SAAB V4, Left Hooker

And ,of course, my indulgence.....White Celebration No. 306. Love it !!

gingherheed

Flange

Post by gingherheed » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:34 am

Once the arches had been removed it was clear to see where the offending inner part meets the outer part of the body. I think you are right about moisture being potentially trapped there but as far as treating it you'd have to go in from the inside, and even then could you be certain of full coverage?

If you look under the rear arch from the outside you'll see that there is another area that would need treating. The only problem is that the two "plates" meet and you'd need to get between them somehow.

Or of course you could cut the arches off and treat them before welding back on!!

I have thought about this problem long and hard but there seems to be no adequate solution other than to do the best you can.

I think it might be worth someones while commercially making rear arches as I think all remaining 480's will need doing at some point. I reckon there must be a firm in India or China that could do it cheaply and easily.

As for close ups those pics were the only ones I got.

stig

Post by stig » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:14 pm

OK Gingerheed...thanks for your reply.

I would like to have had a closer look at the dismembered rear end.

Yes...access from inside is clearly a problem.

Cheers

stig
1968 SAAB V4, Left Hooker

And ,of course, my indulgence.....White Celebration No. 306. Love it !!

480 Tatey

Post by 480 Tatey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:57 am

Nooooooooooo! Save em' dont grave em'! I hate seeing 480s die. :(
Volvo 480 Celebration 19/480 now sold. Gutted.

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg283/Tateys480/

gingherheed

I meant here

Post by gingherheed » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:35 am

I meant this page not what I'd said Ms Pink!!

cliffeydawlish

gingerhead

Post by cliffeydawlish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:22 pm

gingerhead i dont suppose you have the front and rear bumper for sale of the grey one do you ??

gingherheed

Re: My 480 ES chopped up and scrapped back end.

Post by gingherheed » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:11 pm

I've just seen a reply to my post dated June last year. The answer is yes, I have both front and rear bumpers for sale if anyone wants them.

ozz
480 Newbie

Post by ozz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:07 pm

looks abit like my dragster pick up 480. just that mine has the front still on it :D
Back in Black Racing Drag team. 1992 480 1.7 pick up dragster. race number CC1756

LIP
480 Newbie

Post by LIP » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi
I did my rear arches last summer as they were rusty. I made a mold of the originals & made some new ones from fibreglass. Infact i made 2 molds, one of the original arches & then i packed & shaped the arches with filler to make a prouder & wider arch to accomodate spacers on the rears on to fit wider rims.
I also made the rim ofthe arch about half the width of the original again to assist with wider rims or spacers & gained an extra 2.5 cms.
The new arches were bonded with resin & self tapping screws to stop any cracks in the bond & it worked a treat. The new wider arches were blended in with filler & resprayed & it turned out a treat. If anyones interested give me a shout & I'll dig out some photos. I'd planned to make a rear spoiler & a rear diffuser this summer but my backs gone & am unable to at the mo, hopefully after some injections in the spine i'll be more mobile.
LIP