Drivers window slowing down - temporary remedy

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

The Xile
480 Newbie

Drivers window slowing down - temporary remedy

Post by The Xile » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:49 pm

Actually, it's been pretty slow since I bought it 8 years ago but this year it has ground to a halt every now and then and needed a helping hand. I know a new mechanism will be needed eventually but I have applied some silicone to the leading edge groove of the window and it has improved its operation alot.
Hope this helps some of you,
Ged
8 years proud owner of Celebration no. 128

Cerberus
480 Expert

Post by Cerberus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:56 pm

Mine's slowing down too. I'm putting it down to the cold weather.

Might whang some silicone spray on it if it works :D

On the weather seal on the top of the door you mean?

Top tip!

C
[img]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/Cerberus74/DC_SIG_GHETTO.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9446]My digital-car.co.uk Install Thread[/url]

The Xile
480 Newbie

Post by The Xile » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:35 am

Hi Cerberus,
I put the silicone in the running groove that runs up next to the front quarter-light.
I top it up with a little more each month and so far so good.
hope it works for you,
Ged
8 years proud owner of Celebration no. 128

Mr Greedy
480 Newbie

Post by Mr Greedy » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:45 am

I think it is just a kacky design from Volvo here. As the front window is pushed up, it is also pushed backwards. A lot.

This means the glass is constantly rubbing (cleaning?) anything off that area, so silicone spray every month or so will help. To my horror, when I took the car in for a service at Volvo (Harratts - con merchants) I saw them using some white lithium grease out of a can with a straw attachment like you can add to the nozzle on WD40. The window needed cleaning all the time down the rubber guide, but once it stopped smearing white gunk everywhere, it was effective for longer. Personally I would rather use 'cleaner' silicon every few months instead.

felyx
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by felyx » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:26 am

i'm sure but not a 100% positive that there is a speed adjustment screw on some 480 window motors , loads of other cars have this also .

as i said i'm not totally sure
140mph for £175 just test the brakes